II. Celtic Cities, Towns and Place Names in Texas A - G
In towns that list the: general store owner, postmaster, postmistress, schoolteacher, or an early settler(s), the person(s) named was/were usually among the founding families of the community. Generally, the Celtic connection of an individual or place is not given if it is obviously a Celtic name or if the connection is made in the text of the book.
Named for the Earl of Scotland, owner of the Rocking Chair Ranch in 1900.
Named for Monroe G. Abernathy.
Founded by John F. Carr in 1839.
The first Post Master was Thomas Flynn in 1898.
Location of smallest state park. It honors Elizabeth Patton Crockett, wife of Davey Crockett.
Adobe Walls, Texas
Early settlers were James Hanrahan and Thomas O'Keefe.
Named for Adrian Cullen.
Named for the Adams-Sullivan Lumber Company.
Named by school teacher Myra Kelly from an old Irish folk song.
Built up around Samuel McCracken's cotton gin. William W. Davis was first Post Master, he was replaced by Mrs. Martha McCracken.
Early settlers were the McFarland and the McConnell families.
Originally called Driscoll,Texas.
Alice Dam - See Alice, Texas
Alice Terminal Reservoir - See Alice, Texas
Originally called Collins for N. G. Collins. It was changed to Kleberg, then to Alice to honor Alice (King) Kleberg, daughter of Richard King.
Founded by Jacamiah Daugherty and named after the first Postmistress Alief Ozela Magee.
Allen Creek, Donley County
Named for Allen Reed and founded by F. R. McCracken.
Named for an early Allen family.
The point of land on which Port O'Connor was built.
The town was originally called Murphyville for T. C. Murphy who owned the local water hole.
The townsite was on property owned by the House of Barr and Davenport. Property was the highest land between the Angelina and Neches Rivers.
Alton Settlement, Texas
General store was run by Henderson Murphy, other early settlers were Felix McKittirick, Charles McElroy and the Dougherty and Roark families.
An early settler was John Snider, despite the name, he was Irish.
Town was originally called Chambersea for T. J. Chambers.
Named for the wife of Charles E. Graham. He platted the town.
The town was named by Scottish seaman Thomas Wittet.
Named for Kenneth Lewis Anderson.
Named for Dick Andrews.
Town was founded by Lewis R. Bryan in 1890. Early settlers were a Jackson family.
Town was settled in 1846 by Colin McKinny. Other early settlers were a Mr. Guinn and a Mr. Milligan.
One of the first settlers was Mary McGowan (Mrs Isiah Lawson).
General Store was originally run by the Mullin brothers. Other early settlers were W. M. McElroy and W. E. Wallace.
Aransas City, Texas
It was founded in 1837 by James Power. It was briefly the county seat for Refugio County.
Aransas Creek Settlement
An Irish settlement, early settlers included Patrick Fadden and Father John Thomas Molloy.
Town is located on the original league of one of Austin's Old Three Hundred, David Fitzgerald.
Named changed to South Bend by Mr Kirby who opened a general store. He was from South Bend, Indiana.
Named for Miss Arlie Griffith in 1889.
John J. Keith was the first Postmaster in 1876. He was followed by John M. Keith, who was followed by William B. Keith in 1884.
Arthur City, Texas
Named for Captain James G. C. Arthur. His mother was Jane Dugan.
First Postmaster was John Cunningham in 1892.
Early settlers included Daniel Boone, Daniel, Coleman Jones, and John Andreton.
Founded in Tarrant County by Ulster Irish settlers in 1852. Now called Keller, Texas.
Early settlers were a McClung family.
It was named for the daughter of Daniel McClean, Augusta Smith. The town was settled by McClean, and John Sheridan. McClean was with Magee in 1811. The town was at one time called Boston.
First Postmaster was F. B. Stewart.
This town was laid out by Horatio McMullen Hanks and is now called Port Arthur.
Isaac Campbell was on the site selection committee for the future state capital. Edward Burleson laid out the town. Original name was Waterloo. The name Austin was suggested by Thomas Jones Hardeman, whose mother came from Ireland. As was noted in the text, there is evidence that Stephen F. Austin, whom the town is named for, was of Celtic descent.
The town was named for two business partners: Preston R. Austin and Jesse C. McDowell. They were also early settlers (1911).
W. G. Bryan was its first Mayor.
The name is Gaelic for river.
First postmaster was a man named Casey, who was followed by Charles McFathers.
The name of the early settlement that became San Augustine. So many Irish lived there it was often mispronounced Irish Bayou.
Early settlers included: Bailey Anderson, John McNeal, J. O'Neal, Bryan Daugherty, Willis Murphy, John McGinnis, Tom Shannon,
Donal McDonald, Raymond Daley, and many more.
Town is named for Ayr, Scotland.
Named for and land donated by Dr. Azle Stewart.
Originally called Carroll's Prairie after a Carroll family. It is now Como.
Bailey Prairie, Texas
Named for Brittain Bailey.
The Abilene & Southern RR built by Welshman Morgan Jones connecting Ballinger with Abilene assured its continued existence.
Town is named for three men; Balcolm, Morrow, and Rhea. They were land promoters in the area. There is no known Celtic connection with them, the name of the town is thought, by some, to sound Celtic. It is listed here to clarify the matter.
Named to honor the site of a three day fiesta held by Mexican officials for the Irish Colonies at the dedication of the opening of the road to Matamoros.
Founded by Anderson Barclay, he was a descendent of a McQueen family.
Barry Scobee Mountain
Named by John Connally, it is located in the Davis Mountains.
First Postmaster was Thomas McKnight. A railroad, the Bartlett & Western RR was built connecting Bartlett to the main line, the
President of which was Miss Marie Cronin.
Named for Joseph H. Barwise whose mother was Julia Collins. He was the first Justice of the Peace of Wichita County.
Settled by Elijah A. Bates and his wife, the former Ellen Jane McKinney.
The town was settled by William Scott in 1824. David G. Burnet lived there.
Named for Peter Ellis Bean.
Among the town's founders were William McFaddin, and George O'Brien. James McFaddin was an early resident.
Began as a stage stop operated by a Craig family.
The city stands on the site of Ann Burke O'Carroll's claim on Paiste Creek. The town was first named Maryville after Mary Hefferman an Irish girl who survived an Indian attack that wiped out her family. The County court house at Beeville is said to stand on the site of Mary Hefferman's home.
Laid out by Thomas McFarland.
The location was named for its settler, Josiah H. Bell. His wife and co-founder was Evelyn McKenzie. Location is now Columbia, Texas.
John Connell, the son of an Irish blacksmith, donated the land for this town which was first called Nolan after Phillip Nolan.
Ben Hur, Texas
From the novel by Lew Wallace.
It is in the Staggers Point area and was settled by the Dunn and McMillin families.
Town was originally called McAnelly's Bend for Robert Daugherty McAnelly.
Now a ghost town, its first settler was R. P. Grogan.
Town is named after Bert and Clair Lucas owners of a local ranch.
Original settler was W. A. McCutchen.
Town was established in 1905 when George McDonald opened a general store there.
Its first store was operated by James D. Riley and Tom D. Vaughn.
Town was named for the daughter of J.H. Kirby.
Named for Beulah McSpadden. Name changed to Waysite.
Big Foot, Texas
Town was originally called Connally's Store until Big Foot Wallace moved there in 1882. There is a statue of Wallace in the town.
Bishop Hollow, Texas
Located in Frio County, it was originally, in 1878, called Ireland, Texas.
First Postmaster was G. C. McCauley, the post office was in his home. The town site was owned by Ab Connor. Lone Star Community is another name by which this town is known.
Black Jack Community, Texas
Now called Phelps, among its early settlers were the McGar and Ferguson families. Ed McGar ran the general store.
Blair's Fort, Texas
Settled by Irish born Charles Culpepper Blair.
One of its first settlers was Ranger Captain James Callahan.
Town was founded by Thomas McGuill, Martin McGuill was the first Post Master. N. E. McDaniel was an early settler.
Blooming Grove, Texas
Town was originally called Gradyville after R. J. Grady.
Now called Loop, Texas is located on the Quinn family ranch.
An early settler, Postmaster, and operator of the general store was Alonzo W. Flinn.
Town was settled by Billy Davis in 1852 and then Ike B. Maxwell in 1854.
This town is now recognized as the nearest town to Phillip Nolan's last stand. His grave is said to be located near here.
Bold Springs, Texas
Now called West, first Postmaster was Richard D. McCrary.
Named for James Butler Bonham. Its most famous resident was Sam Rayburn. Among its early settlers were Jabez Fitzgerald and Mark Roberts.
Town was settled in 1853 by Duncan McBryde and others.
Named for Mordecai Boone a relative of Daniel Boone. Later became Bryan, Texas.
A name given for a time to what is now Augusta, Texas. It was settled by Daniel McClean, John Sheridan and the Madden and Wilson families.
Name was applied for by Postmaster Eula McDonald.
Named for Jim Bowie.
Named for Chief Bowles.
An early settler was a Mr. McClain.
Brackenridge Park, San Antonio
It is the city's largest park and is named for George W. Brackenridge whose mother was Isabella McCulloch.
Town was named for Bradford Fitzgerald.
It is on the Colorado River in southeast Concho County.
Located in Concho, McCulloch and San Saba counties. It is off the San Saba River.
Town is named for Peter Brady a surveyor.
Town is on land once owned by a Colonel Mahoney.
An early settler was James W. Fannin.
Named for Doctor Benjamin Fox Brenham.
Named for Charlotte Bronte, an Irish writer. An early settler family was the McCutcheon family.
Town was ordered layed out by lumberman John Henry Kirby.
Surveyed by W. A. McIntosh.
Bryan Army Field
It was near Bryan, Texas and named after the town.
Bryan Beach State Recreation Area
Named for William Joel Bryan a grandson of Stephen F. Austin. Originally called Boonesville.
Bryan's Mill, Texas
First sulphur mine in Texas, now Freeport, Texas.
Buchanan Dam Lake
Named for James Paul Buchanan, Congressman. Pronounced by residents as Buckannon.
Named for President James Buchanan. Later called Snow Hill and then Cason.
Named for 'Buck' Reynolds, this site was at first the J.W. Cochran sawmill in the 1890's.
The townsite was donated by John McGarrah. Originally called McGarrah's Settlement. Established by Collin McKinney in 1840, was the headquarters of the Peters Colony in 1845.
Was originally Sarahville De Viesca founded by Sterling Clack Robertson.
The town is named for a claims agent for the Beaumont,Sour Lake & Western Railroad.
The townsite in Henderson County was laid out by John H. Reagan in 1847, it was originally the site of a ferry operated by John P. Moore in 1846.
This town was first called Carrolla for a family of Carrolls. The name Buna comes from a cousin of Joe E. Carroll Sr., Buna Corley.
The town is named after Burk Burnett on whose ranch the land was located. It was named by Theodore Rooseveltwho is part Irish.
Named for Ed Burke a civil engineer.
Named for William Burkett the first Postmaster. He is a descendant of Catherine McClure.
Town was laid out by John R. Burke. An early settler was Sid McWhorter, as was William McMahon. Originally called New Caldenia..
Named for Rufus Burleson. It was established in Greenville, Texas in 1895.
Town is named for Rufus C. Burleson.
Named for John Burleson, the first settler. Town was platted by G. W. Scott. The name was changed to Lampasas in 1856 when it became the county seat of Lampasas County.
This town was first called The Irish Settlement. Its first settlers were John and Michael Jones. The name was changed to Waterford at some point and then again later to Burlington. It was named by Postmaster Gleason for Burlington, Vermont.
Named for David G. Burnet by William McGill, the town founder. Peter Kerr gave the land for the town site.
Burning Bush, Texas
Original settler was William Pitt Douglas in 1860.
Burn's Station, Texas
Named for Arthur Burns. An early settler was Irish born Joseph Allen.
A company town of the Elgin-Butler Brick Company. The company was founded by Irish immigrant Michael Butler. His brick company supplied the brick for the Texas capitol, the University of Texas, the U. S. Embassy in Mexico City and many other buildings.
Butler's Neighborhood, Texas
Named for L. G. and A. B. Butler, now called Monteola.
An early settler was R. P. Grogan from nearby Benvanue which closed.
The first post office here opened in 1877.
Town was named for Calvin J. Allen in 1910. Mr Allen donated the land for the town site.
Named for Mathew "Old Paint" Caldwell. The town was originally called Guffola after H. H. McGuffy.
Established in 1880 at Kingston, Texas.
Town was established in 1841 and named for John C. Calhoun. By 1845 it was a ghost town.
This is a 250,000 acre ranch near Encinal founded by Charles Callaghan, a Confederate veteran.
Callahan City, Texas
A mountain range named for James H. Callahan.
Town is named for James Hughes Callahan a victim at Goliad.
Named for the J. T. Calliham Ranch. It was originally called Guffeyola. This entry was originally spelled Callahan until a family member wrote me and asked that I correct the entry. I was going to remove the entry since I could not be sure the family had a Celtic connection until I noted J. T. married Sarah Ann McKinney.
Cameron Park, Waco
Named for its donator, William Cameron.
Named for Ewan Cameron. First home was that of Shapely Ross.
A railroad spur named for Captain William McKamy.
Among the first settlers was L.S. McMicklin.
Camp Ben McCulloch, Texas
Named for the famous scout, the camp was located in Hays County and was a reunion site for veterans of Confederate service.
Camp Bowie, Texas
Camp was named for Jim Bowie. There was one in Fort Worth during WWI, and another in Brownwood in 1940.
Camp Brady, Texas
WW II POW camp.
Camp Fannin, Texas
This was a WW II U.S. Army training base near Tyler, Texas. It was named for James Fannin. The site today is occupied by the University of Texas Health Center at Tyler.
Camp Ford, Texas
Named for John S. Ford it was a Confederate POW camp in Smith County. Most of its inmates were captured during the Battle of Mansfield.
Camp Harney, Texas
It was a temporary camp located in present Zapata County in 1851.
Camp Harney, Texas
It was named for William S. Harney, and was a temporary camp in 1851 near Bellville.
Camp Howze, Texas
Located near Gainsville, it was established by Clifford McMahon.
Camp Kelly, Texas
It was established in 1867. It was named for Michael J. Kelly an Irish born officer who died during its construction. The name was changed to Fort Concho in 1868.
Camp Kenedy, Texas
A WWII POW camp.
Camp Kingsville, Texas
Named after the town.
Camp MacArthur, Texas
It was named for General Arthur MacArthur, father of Douglas MacArthur and was located at Waco in WW I.
Camp Maxey, Texas
Activated in 1942 at the former site of the Civil War camp known as Camp Rusk 20 miles east of Jefferson and north of Paris, Texas on Lake Caddo. It was named for Samuel Bell Maxey. It was initially used as a training camp for WWII and then as a POW camp in addition to being a training facility Today it is used by the Texas Army National Guard as a Reserve facility.
Thanks to Librarian Pricilla McAnally, the Assistant Director of the Paris Public Library for correcting my former entry saying it was a Civil War era camp.
Camp McClean, Texas
A WWII POW camp.
Camp McCulloch, Texas
Named for Henry E. McCulloch.
Camp McMillan, Texas
This camp was established in San Saba County in 1862 and named for Captain N.D. McMillan.
Camp Mystic, Texas
This was originally a summer camp for girls begun by E. J. Stewart in 1928. It was later taken over by the U.S.Army and then the U.S. Air Force.
Camp Rusk, Texas
Named for Thomas Jefferson Rusk. Built for the Lamar Rifles organized by Samuel B. Maxey, C.S.A. That responsibility was expanded to include the Ninth Texas Regiment.
Camp San Saba, Texas
Camp built to train W. G. O'Brien's Company of Mounted Volunteers.
Camp Travis, Texas
This camp was in San Antonio in 1917. It was named after William B Travis. In 1922, it was consolidated with Fort Sam Houston.
Camp Verde, Texas
This camp was established by Secretary of War Jefferson Davis for an experiment with camels.
Camp Wallace, Texas
This camp was located in Galveston and was named after Colonel Elmer J. Wallace who was killed in WW I. It was opened in 1941.
Named for one of Lafitte's men, James Campbell, who settled there after the pirates left Texas.
Campbell Draw, Menard County
Named for Governor Thomas Campbell. Originally called Oliveria.
Named for Jourdan Campbell.
Located in Atascosa County, it was named for Irishman John F. Campbell who operated the General Store and served as the first Postmaster. Campbell also organized the areas first school.
Early settlers were Jimmie Donley and Tobe Robinson. Later called Hogtown.
Layed out by Mr and Mrs L. G. Conner.
Named for Don Carey, a railroad man.
Carroll Creek, Donley County
Named for James A. Carroll a surveyor.
Carroll's Prairie, Texas
Settled in 1845, it was named after Ferdinand Carroll. For a brief time (1870-1876) the town was called Bacchus. It became Como in 1894.
Named after a Carroll family. Now named Buna.
Named for Joseph Carroll or George Carroll two early settlers who came from Carrollton, Maryland.
Carson City, Texas
Named for Samuel Price Carson, became Panhandle.
Carson Creek, Hutchison County
Named for Samuel Price Carson.
Town was established in 1879 by John Casey.
Was called Buchanan (1857).
Town was surveyed by Henry James. A part of the town is on land once owned by John McMullen who sold it to Henry Castro.
Named for James Hamilton Cator of Ireland, the first settler in Hansford County and the first County Judge.
Early settlers were: W. Stewart and Thomas Jackson.
Located seven miles west of Silverton in Briscoe County.
The Shelby County Courthouse located here was designed by Irish architect J. J. E. Gibson. He modeled the courthouse after his interpretation of an Irish castle complete with turrets, arched entryways, high-arched windows, a vaulted ceiling and even a secret passageway.
Center City Community, Texas
It developed around the store of W. C. Hughes and was originally called Hughes Store.
Named for T. J. Chambers now Anahuac.
Settled in 1878 by Henry T. Dunn who built a store.
Cherry Point Gully, Texas
Named for Aaron Cherry.
Named for President Chester A. Arthur.
Childress Army Air Field, Texas
Named for the nearby town.
Named for George Childress.
Chinn's Chapel Settlement, Texas
Settled by Lis Cleary, John Maloney, Wesley, John, Jim, and Billy Malone; and Sim B., Van, Brack, and George McQueen.
Named for Jesse Chisolm.
Settled by Daniel Dugan in 1835.
Settled by Alexander Thompson, Jr, partner of Sterling Clack Robertson. Originally called Yellow Prairie.
An early settler was Mrs. George O'Neill.
Town was named for the circular layout of the town. It was settled by D. H. McFadin in 1846.
W. P. Caldwell operated the first general store.
Second Postmaster was George McCarty in 1903. When the town was founded in December of 1892 the Post Office was in the home of Alwida Stipe Johnson who served as Postmaster.
"Old"' Clarendon was settled by Stanhope and Bruce McClelland. Two of its main streets were Kelly Street and Donley Avenue.
First mayor was Charles De Morse, whose mother was the former Mary Denney.
Cleburne State Recreation Area
Named for General Patrick Cleburne, C.S.A..
William Riley was the Postmaster. Name changed to Trumball in 1892. George Riley was one of the first to settle the area.
See Gallaghers Ranch, Texas
Named for Mrs Mary Clinton Collins, an early settler.
Located in Callahan County, it was first settled by Irish families from Pennsylvania.
Settled by James Cochran.
The John McCoy family were the first settlers in this community first known as Upper Cuero Creek Settlement.
First Postmaster was James S. McDonald.
Cold Springs, Texas
An early settler of this town was Archibald McKinney and family as was Vernon B. Lea, Sam Houston's brother-in-law.
See Rio Frio, Texas
Collins Creek, Shackleford County
In Jasper County, this town is named for a black man named Collins.
In Jim Wells County the town is named after a railroad employee, N. G. Collins.
Named for Mrs L. B. Collins an early settler.
Colorado City, Texas
It was settled by Choctaw Kelly who left nearby Moore's Fort because he could not stand the overbearing nature of Henry Moore in 1838.
The town was established by Donald and Jamine McKenzie.
Town grew from Bell's Landing on the Brazos River where Josiah H. Bell and his wife, the former Evelyn McKenzie, operated a ferry.
Became known as Columbia and then West Columbia when another settlement formed on the east bank. It was called East Columbia.
Established in 1858 by John Duncan.
Originally this location was known as Jackson's Store after S. Jackson.
This town was first called Carroll's Prairie after Ferdinand Carroll, then it was known as Bacchus for six years, then Carroll's Prairie again.
This town was first named Fitzgerald after the original settlers.
This town was laid out in 1846 on the John McCoy survey.
Town is named for R. C. Conn Sr.
Connally Air Force Base, Texas
Named for Col. James Thomas Connally killed in WW II. Located in Waco, Texas, it is now the campus of the Texas State Technical Institute.
Connally's Store, Texas
Town was settled in 1865 when Bob Connally opened his store and James Connally established a Post Office. Town is now Big Foot, Texas.
The town is named for John Connell.
Named for W. M. Conner who granted the land to the Davy Crockett National Forest.
Named for the grandfather of R. M. Connor.
An early settler was Irish born James Jordan. Charles B. Stewart, Texas' first Secretary of State lived here.
A trail used by Nolan and Magee.
Named for H. B. Conway in 1903. E. S. Carr was the first postmaster.
Named after John C. Conway, now called Mission.
Cooke's Point, Texas
Settled by Gabriel Jackson in 1840, he built a two-story log cabin.
Town was founded by James Power among others in 1840. The first settler was Walter Lambert from County Wexford.
Corpus Christi, Texas
Established by Henry L. Kinney.
A place on Aransas Creek outside Beeville on the property of Ellen O'Toole Corrigan where the creek spread into a wide a deep swimming hole enjoyed by many.
Corrigan Settlement, Texas
Area was settled by Jeremiah O'Toole in 1826 and was named after Ellen O'Toole's husband, John.
Town was named for Pat Corrigan, a railroad man. He was the grandfather of Douglas "Wrong Way" Corrigan.
The town began around the McKinny Inn established in1849 by Hampton McKinny.
An early settler was George Maughan.
Town was laid out by Thomas McFarland.
Was once home to Machinegun Kelly and Boss Shannon.
Originally called Neal.
Established in 1873.
Town was built on land owned by Morgan C. Hamilton.
Town was established in 1880 by W.G.S. Hughes a local rancher. He was Postmaster for 12 years.
Crab Apple Community, Texas
First settler was David Crockett Riley in 1870's.
Named for William Carey Crane.
Named for Davey Crockett.
Early settler was Irish born Humphrey Jackson.
Cuddihy Field, Texas
Located near Corpus Christi during WW II.
Dale Roberston, Texas
Was a post office in the Dale Robertson boy's camp in the 1960's. The post office and camp were named for actor Dale Robertson, who often visited the camp.
An early settler was John Kennedy. It was named by James Neely Bryan for either Mifflin Dallas, the Vice President under Polk who was of Scottish heritage, or T. Dallas, a family friend. Thomas Keenan and William M. Cochrane were two more early settlers.
Among its first settlers was the Criswell family who came from Ireland in 1835.
Davey Crockett National Forest
Named for David Crockett.
Davis Mountains State Park
It was developed by W. E. Neal and Sons in 1917.
This town was built in 1903 by the McShane Lumber Company.
This area was platted by Colonel J. H. Burnett in 1892.
Named by Davey Crockett.
An early settler was Cypress Campbell.
Della Plain, Texas
Named for Della McLain in 1887. Her father, J. R. McLain helped found the town.
Founded by the Scot doctor, James Grant.
Denton Creek Settlement, Texas
Settled by J. G. and J. J. McConnell, Hiram and John McMurray, and Lou McCarthy.
Early settlers were J. A. Carroll, J. H. Degan, W. F. Eagan, and the McIlheney, McCormick, McCurley, and Dougherty families.
Named for P. S. McDermot.
Settled in 1860 by Irish born Charles Culpepper Blair. Originally called Blair's Fort. During an oil boom 1917-1922, it was called Hogtown.
Named for Dr. Thomas Hernando de Soto Stewart.
Devil's River, Texas
This town got it name from a remark made by Texas Ranger "Jack" Hays.
An early settler of Dickens was Charles O'Neal.
Dimit's Landing, Texas
Named for Phillip Dimmitt.
Once called Shamrock, now called Nazareth.
Named after Phillip Dimmitt.
This town was originally called Kingsville for J.J. King who had a store there in 1808.
See Rio Frio, Texas.
Dolan Falls, Val Verde County
Dolan Springs, Val Verde County
This town grew from a sawmill established by William McCready and a partner in early 1890's.
Named for F. M. or James W. Dougherty in 1928.
Named for Kelsy H. Douglass, town is on land once owned by John Durst, son of Peter Davenport.
Named for John C. Douglass.
Named in 1877 for W. E. Doyle and his twin brother, James W. Doyle.
Drasco Community, Texas
Named by Postmaster R. O. Kerrin in 1904.
Named for Robert Driscoll. Town was located on his ranch.
The only Celtic connection is the current spelling. The town was originally Doublin a corruption of `Double In', a cry pioneers gave to run for safety.
Duff's Settlement, Texas
Named for James C. Duff on whose grant it was located, now called New Ulm.
Duncan Field, Texas
It was a part of Kelly A.F.B. and was named for Major Thomas Duncan.
Named for H. Duncan, an early settler.
This town was first called Duncan after John Duncan in 1882.
Named for Dundee, Scotland in 1891.
Named for J. A. Dunn on whose ranch the town site was located in 1900. Alonzo T. Dunn was the first Postmaster.
Now called Grapevine, Texas, it was originally named after a Dunn family.
Town was established by T. J. Patterson.Return to Table of Contents >
Dyess Air Force Base, Texas
Named for William Edward Dyess, son of the former Hattie Graham.
Eagle Pass, Texas
Orginally surveyed in 1849 by John Twohig who named it El Paso de Aquila. An early settler was Jane McManus.
Town was founded by Jacamiah S. Daugherty and his partner, Charles U. Connellee. Connellee was the first mayor after incorporation in 1891.
Located on land originally owned by John McGloin.
Site of Kelly's Stagecoach stop in the 1850's.
Named for Mathew Duncan Ector and established in 1874.
The first post office was in W. H. McMichael's store in early 1850's.
Established by Scotsman John Young in about 1848 and named for his birthplace in Scotland.
Town was established in 1890 with the post office in J. O. H. McMullan's store.
Early settlers were A. T. and Althea McKinnon, and a Murphy family.
Named for the daughter of W. T. Waggoner whose grandmother was Elizabeth McGaugh.
The wife of one of the co-founders was the former Eliza McGough.
El Paso de Aquila
Now called Eagle Pass, original name was given by Irishman John Twohig who surveyed the site in 1849.
El Paso, Texas
Founded in part by James Wiley Magoffin.
Settled by William S. Donnell.
Named for Elizabeth McLain the widow of A. R.McLain, the original settler in 1902.
Named by Harry Campbell.
The first to settle there was A.A. McLund in 1892.
Founded by T. A. Wilkinson in 1889.
Named for Cornelius Ennis whose grandfather was born in Ireland. Cornelius was Houston's first cotton agent. He served as mayor in 1856.
Among its early settlers was John Flanagan, he served as its first Postmaster in 1858.
Established in 1856.
Named for Eunice Hogan in whose general store the post office was located when the town was established in 1800.
Early settlers of this town were Allen McDaniel, Wesley McKinley and T.A. Polk.
Named for a cousin of John H. Kirby.
Named for James Fannin.
Fannin State Park
Park is also called Goliad State Park, it is named after James Fannin.
Named for James Fannin.
Now known as Joy.
Name was changed to Anderson, Texas when the Vice President of the Republic of Texas, Kenneth Lewis Anderson died there.
Farley's Boy's Ranch
Cal Farley's Boy's Ranch was founded in 1939 on the site of the old town of Tascosa, near Amarillo.
Farmers Branch, Texas
The area of the town was settled by Thomas Keenan in 1842. William Cochran was another early settler. Town was originally called Mustang Branch. It was named by Cochran after the mustang grapes that grew wild in the area.
Settled by Judge James Cummins and Colonel James Ross.
Settled by Ephriam Andrews and his wife's family, the McKnights.
Named by Mrs R. K. Finley after her home in Fifshire, Scotland.
Named by Daniel McRae, a Scotch settler.
This town is now known as Concord, Texas. The Fitzgeralds were the original settlers.
Named for Webster F. Flanaghan.
Town was originally settled by A. F. and H. F. Conner in 1860's.
This town developed around H. Calahan's general store and hotel in the early 1900's.
First postmaster was R. P. Reeves. This town was also known as Saint's Roost.
Named for Edward J. Flynn, President of the Burlington Rock Island Railroad.
Named by early settler John O'Neil.
Fort Bankhead, Texas
A Confederate fort on Galveston Island. Perhaps named for General John Bankhead Magruder.
Fort Bliss, Texas
This fort was built several times, two of them were built around a settlement known as Magoffinville, named after James Magoffin.
Fort Burleson, Texas
Named for Edward Burleson, it was located in what is now Falls County.
Fort Chadbourne, Texas
This town developed around a fort of the same name and J. B. McCutcheon's general store in 1880.
Fort Clark, Texas
Near Bracketville, this fort was originally called Fort Riley in 1852.
Fort Concho, Texas
This fort was originally known as Camp Kelly. It was located near San Angelo.
Fort Crawford, Texas
Built by W. C. Crawford in 1839, in what is presently Harrison County.
Fort Crawford, Texas
Named for U.S. Secretary of War George W. Crawford, The fort was built in 1849 near Laredo. Name was later changed to Fort McIntosh in 1850.
Fort Crockett, Texas
Named for Davey Crockett, it was a coastal artillery emplacement on Galveston Island. You can still see its bunkers.
Fort Croghan, Texas
Built in 1849, this fort was named after General George Croghan. It was originally called Fort Hamilton. The site was owned by Peter Kerr.
Fort Davis, Texas
It was named after Jefferson Davis when he was the Secretary of War for the United States.
Fort Defiance, Texas
The name given to La Bahia by Fannin and his men.
Fort Duncan, Texas
Named for James Duncan, it was built in 1849 opposite Piedras Negras in Eagle Pass.
Fort Fitzhugh, Texas
Located in what is now Cooke County. It was named for William F. Fitzhugh.
Fort Graham, Texas
The fort was estblished in 1849 by General William S. Harney and named for William M. Graham who was killed at Moleno del Rey in the Mexican War. It was near Hillsboro.
Fort Green, Texas
Named for General Thomas Jefferson Green, this Confederate fort was located on Point Bolivar.
Fort Griffin State Park
Fort Griffin, Texas
The Fort Griffin was located near Belton in 1838. Named for Moses Griffin. It was also known as Fort Smith and Little
Fort Griffin, Texas
Named after Colonel William H. Griffin local commander at Sabine Pass in 1863 (before the battle).
Fort Griffin, Texas
Named for Major General Charles Griffin, Commander of the Texas District after the Civil War. It was established in 1867 near Albany, Texas.
Fort Griffin, Texas
A town which grew up beside the fort located near Albany from an area known as The Flat.
Fort Hancock, Texas
Its first Post Master was Mr. Ross in 1883.
Fort Hood, Texas
Named for Confederate General John Bell Hood. It was opened in 1942 and is today the largest military base in Texas.
Fort Houston, Texas
This fort was located two miles west of Palestine and was a private stockade during the Texas Revolution. Named for Sam Houston. It became the home of John H. Reagan.
Fort Jackson, Texas
A Confederate fort located on Pelican Split at Galveston.
Fort Johnson, Texas
Named for Francis White Johnson, this fort was built in 1840 in what is today Grayson County. Established by General William G. Cooke near Pottsboro.
Fort Martin Scott, Texas
Located near Fredricksburg, this fort was built in 1848 and named for Major Martin Scott who fell at the Battle of Molino del Rey.
Fort McIntosh, Texas
Located in Lardeo and named for General James S. McIntosh who fell at Monterrey.
Fort McKavett, Texas
Another of the many frontier forts built by the United States Army after the Mexican War. It was named for Captain Henry McKavett.
Fort Milam, Texas
It was built in 1835 at Sarahville de Viesca in the Robertson Colony and named after Ben Milam.
Fort Mugginsville, Texas
It was a family fort in Shakleford County during the Civil War.
Fort Magruder, Texas
A Confederate fort on Galveston Island. Named for General John Bankhead Magruder.
Fort Parker State Recreation Area
Fort Parker, Texas
The family fort built by Silas and James W. Parker in 1834 and from where John and Cynthia Ann Parker were taken. A facsimile of the fort stands there today.
Fort Point, Texas
manned by the Irish Jefferson Davis Guard when the Union attacked Galveston.
Fort Polk, Texas
Named for President Polk, it was on Point Isabel during the Mexican War.
Fort Richardson, Texas
When it was established in 1867, it was commanded by H. H. McConnell.
Fort Riley, Texas
This fort was later called Fort Clark and is near Bracketville.
Fort Sam Houston, Texas
Located in San Antonio, this fort is named after Sam Houston.
Fort Sherman, Texas
Established in 1838 in what is now Titus County.
Fort Stockton Field, Texas
This was a military base in the area of Fort Stockton and named after the town.
Fort Stockton, Texas
The original site was owned by Peter Gallagher, a fort was built in 1859 around which developed the town.
Fort Sullivan, Texas
This fort was near Port Sullivan which was established by Augustus Sullivan as a trading post in 1835 in what is now Milam County.
Fort Teran, Texas
A Mexican fort built by its first commander, Peter Ellis Bean in 1832.
Fort Travis, Texas
Located at the east end of Galveston. Built in 1836 and named for William B. Travis.
Fort Travis, Texas
This Fort Travis was built at Bolivar Point in 1898 on site of old Fort Green.
Fox Nation, Texas
Original name of Gussetville, settled by an Irish family named Fox. Other Irish congregated there.
Town was settled by Scotchman Samuel Moore Fulton in 1842.
Surveyed by David Cowan.
A rebel republic established by Hayden Edwards in 1843.
Location of Bryan's Mound.
French Settlement, Texas
Located in the Peters Colony, it was settled by George W. Marion, and John Maloney, and the McCurley and Dougherty families, among others.
Among its early settlers were Thomas Shaw and S. R. McCracken.
It was named by Postmaster Thomas Duncan in 1902.
Gallaghers Ranch, Texas
Named for the ranch owned by Peter Gallagher, diarist of the Santa Fe Expedition, upon whose property the town was located. The town was originally called Clifden.
Garner Army Air Field, Texas
Named for John Nance Garner, it was located in his hometown of Uvalde, Texas in 1942.
Town was founded on land claimed by Alexander Edgar, a native of Scotland. First Mayor was Irishman John Allen.
Garner State Park
Named for John "Cactus Jack" Garner.
Settled by the Cassity, McJinisey, and Daniel families.
It was platted by Colonel J. H. Burnett in 1893. An early settler family was the Ross family.
Surveyed by David Cowan. James B. Williams was among the early settlers.
It was developed by Thomas F. McKinney.
Founded by Philander H. Fitzgerald in 1901. Named by P. W. Nolan.
It was a part of Jim Bowie's grant.
It is named for the battlefield which was named for Major Getty, an Irishman.
Joined three other communities to form Maydelle named after Governor Thomas M. Campbell's daughter.
Ghost Hill, Texas
One of its first settlers was George Riley. It is known as Trumball today.
Named for Gil Gilchrist whose mother was Katherine (Douglass) Gilchrist. His father was Angus Jackson.
E. P. Kennedy's general store was the Post Office when it was established.
Gladys City, Texas
Laid out by Patillo Higgins, the name was changed to Guffey in 1901.
Glen Cove, Texas
It was named for a Scot named Glen.
Glen Rose, Texas
William G. McCammant was an early settler.
It was a railroad town with many Irish and Scotch families who moved on with the railroad.
See McGrary's Chapel.
It was laid out by Ben McCulloch and James Kerr. Named by James Kerr for the Governor of Texas and Coahuila.
Named by McKeloey brothers.
Founded in 1898 by Charles Goodnight and Dr. Marshall McIlhany.
It was named for Charles Goodnight whose partner was Irishman John Adair.
It was named for Patrick Gorman, a railroad man.
Governor Hogg Shrine State Park
Named after R.J. Grady, now called Blooming Grove.
Site of Old Donnell Mill
Named after Confederate general Hiram Bronson Granbury whose mother was the former Nancy McLaurin. Family spelled their name- Granberry.
Grand Cane, Texas
Grand Saline, Texas
Among its early settlers were John Jordan and his partner Allen T. McGee.
A narrow ridge of land near Cooper, Texas named for Mrs. Mary Sinclair.
It was first called Dunnville in the 1850's after a Dunn family.
It was named for President Grover Cleveland's country home.
Early settler, Benjamin F. Sterling, father of Ross Sterling, named it for a grandson.
Named for San Jacinto veteran James Gray who was born in Scotland.
Located on land donated by Scot Bailey Anderson, Sr..
It was named for General Thomas Green.
Greer's Horsepen, Texas
Early name for what is now Rosebud, Texas, an early settler was E. L. Mullins.
It was built on land owned by Irishman John J. Keating who was a Captain at San Jacinto.
It was originally a loading station on the O'Brien Ranch.
Griffin's Point, Padre Island
Named for Griffin, Georgia.
Named for Karl Griffith who built a grain elevator there in 1950. Originally called Oasis when established in 1934.
Griggs Bluff, Texas
Originally called McKinney after Thomas McKinney.
An early settler was William Magee.
It was originally Gladys City and was laid out by Patillo Higgins in 1898. The name was changed in 1901.
Named for H. H. McGuffy, now called Caldwell.
Originally called Fox Nation after a Fox family. It was an Irish settlement. The name was changed when Norwick Gussett opened a trading post.
Next Section of Celtic Texas >