II. Celtic Cities, Towns and Place Names in Texas H - M
In towns that list the: general store owner, postmaster, postmistress, schoolteacher, or an early settler(s), the person(s) named was/were usually among the founding families of the community. Generally, the Celtic connection of an individual or place is not given if it is obviously a Celtic name or if the connection is made in the text of the book.
Settled by descendants of William Smithers and his wife, the former Nancy Fitzpatrick.
Hamilton Field, Texas
This was a WW II glider training facility near Hamilton.
Named for Robert Hamilton.
An early settler was Robert S. McCall.
Irish born buffalo hunters James and Bob Cator were the first settlers. Bob served as the first Postmaster.
Settled by Scotsman Isiah Davidson.
It was settled in 1867 by Eli McDonald.
A railroad siding in Newton County on land owned M. F. Kelly.
Laid out by Francis White Johnson.
Named for Confederate general James Edward Harrison whose mother was the former Harriet Kelly.
Named for Irishman John Hart.
First settler was David Maloney.
S. L. Kelly's general store was the post office for this town which is now a ghost town.
This town's earliest settler was Washington McGrew in 1835.
This town was named for Helena Owens. It became famous for a method of knife fighting.
Named for Irishman John Hemphill.
Laid out by James W. McDade.
Named after James Pinckney Henderson.
Named for M. J. Hickey.
Early settlers were Mike, Isaac, and Thomas Malone.
Founded by Thomas O'Laughlin and family among others. Now called Mobeetie.
Higgin's Gap, Texas
Now called Izora. Named for John O'Higgins.
Named for G. H. Higgins, a railroad man.
It was surveyed by Hugh McMullen.
Earliest settler was Sam McCurley.
Hog Eye, Texas
See McGrary's Chapel.
Named after Jim Hogg.
The name of Desdemona, Texas from 1917-1922 during an oil boom. Original settler in 1860 was Irish born Charles Culpepper Blair.
Holford Prairie Settlement, Texas
Located in the Peters Colony, it was settled by Hugh McKenzie, Jonus McCurley, and a McComb family among others.
Honey Grove, Texas
This town is said to be named by David Crockett. Among its early settlers was John McKinsie.
Located on land once owned by A. C. Horton, now called Neighborville.
The citizens of this town erected a marker recognizing the efforts of Father Michael Muldoon.
Houston Creek, Texas
Named for Sam Houston, it is now called Italy.
Named for Sam Houston. It is the largest city in Texas, the fourth largest city in the United States and the first word said from the moon as in "Houston, the Eagle has landed."
Howard Hughes Airport
Located in Houston in 1942, it was used to train women pilots.
Hughes Springs, Texas
Hughes Store, Texas
Named for W. C. Hughes general store.
Its first Postmaster was William Edgar McKinney. A street in the town was named for him.
Named for Patrick Hurley in 1907.
Hynes Bay, Texas
Named for Peter and John Hynes.
Named for Peter and John Hynes. It is the site of the last battle fought between the Karankawas and the Texans who were led by J. Hynes.
One of its founders was County Tyrone, Ireland born Robert M. Stevenson. An early settler of this town was John McNeese.
Indian Creek, Texas
Named by its surveyor, William Wallace.
It is a Gaelic word meaning fireside.
Named for Texas Governor James Ireland.
Laid out by the Irish Armstrong brothers: James, Everett, and Ramsey.
A bend in the Houston Ship Channel in the Deer Park area.
Irish Creek, DeWitt County
Named by Arthur Burns. When the creek rose, local residents would say it had gotten its Irish up.
Irish Creek Settlement, Texas
Arthur Burns of Ireland was the first settler here in 1826. Several Irish families converged here. Became Burns Station, then Verhelle, Texas.
Irish Flats, San Antonio
This was a housing area where Irish domestics and laborers lived. It was on the "wrong side of the tracks" in 1890's San Antonio.
Irish Ridge, Texas
Known originally as Layden Ridge after Irish brothers, Greg, Tom and Martin Layden. Now called Talty, Texas.
Settled by Sam Houston and Vernon B. Lea and families. Originally called Grand Cane.
It was originally named Houston Creek for Sam Houston.
This town was originally called Higgin's Gap.
Named for A. A. "Jack" McMahon. Original name was New Columbia.
It is named for the Jack brothers; William H. and Patrick C. Jack.
Named for early settler Dr. Jackson Kennedy who was the town's first postmaster.
Jackson's Store, Texas
Named after a store opened by S. Jackson, now it is called Commerce.
Named for Humphrey Jackson, a native of Belfast, Ireland and one of the Old Three Hundred.
James Connally A. F. B., Texas
Located near Waco, Texas, it was originally known as James Connally Army Air Field in 1949. Today the facility is the Texas State Technical Institute.
Originally called Bevil's Settlement, it was laid out by George Washington Smythe. Two early settlers were Thomas Watts and Thomas McKinney.
Joined with three other communities to become Maydelle named after Governor Thomas M. Campbell's daughter.
Jeff Davis Mountains
Named for Jefferson Davis.
Named for Thomas Jefferson. George W. Kelly early famous son. Once the largest city in Texas. Developed by Allen Urquhart, whose father emigrated from Scotland.
Joe Lee, Texas
Named by Mrs Millie Reed McLean for Joe Reed and Lee Underwood, two local businessmen.
Led to Jonesboro.
Named for Henry Jones who operated a ferry at Jonesboro Crossing.
Founded by Emmet and Warren Jones.
Named by Dr. D. McMillan.
Jot 'em Down, Texas
This is what locals called Dion McDonald's general store after the store on the Lum and Abner radio program.
Named for Jourdan Campbell.
It was originally known as Fannin, Texas.
Named for the daughter of Joe H. Shannon.
It is named for J. W. McKamey who once owned the land.
Karnes City, Texas
Named for Henry Karnes.
An early settler of this town was E. R. Cowan, who operated the general store.
Town was built on land owned by William F. Cowan.
It was named for W.S. Keenan the local railroad's passenger agent.
It is named for a pioneer family.
Named for Stephen Keith, now it is called Mount Vernon.
This Tarrant County town was first settled by Ulster Irish families in 1852 and called Athol.
Kelley Creek, Texas
It is named for Jesse Kelley.
It was named for G. A. Kelley.
Kelly Air Force Base, Texas
Named for Lieutenant George M. Kelly who crashed while flying the U.S. Air Force's first airplane to avoid hitting troops in 1911.
Kelly Creek, Donley County
It started as a railroad station to serve Kelly Air Base in San Antonio.
It was named for George A. Kelly and was home to his business, the Kelly Plow Co. which he started there in 1863.
Originally the site of Mrs Elizabeth Powell's Tavern.
Named for Miflin Kenedy.
Named for John Wesley Kenney, son of an Irish immigrant.
Named for the son of Theodore Roosevelt.
Named for J. J. Kerr, first Postmaster.
Kerr Settlement, Texas
Established in 1831 by Hugh and Lucy Kerr of Tennessee.
Kerr Wildlife Management Area
Kerrville State Recreation Area
Named for James Kerr.
Key School Settlement, Texas
A settlement in the Peters Colony settled by a Murphy family among others.
James O'Keefe made a dam across it to form a lake and reservoir.
Named for Jane Long's servant girl, and loyal companion.
Kildare Junction, Texas
Named for a railroad official.
Kilddogan Creek, Fisher County
The town was named for Frank P. Killeen a railroad official. In Gaelic the word means little church.
Named for William King of the Alamo.
Largest ranch in Texas, it was begun by Richard King.
King's Memorial State Park
This memorial commemorates Amon Butler King and men.
Kingsville Naval Air Station
Now called Divot, the original name honored J. J. King who had a store there in 1808.
Named for Richard King of the King Ranch. Henrietta King gave the land.
Named for John H. Kirby.
Named after A.L. Kirkpatrick who had the post office in his general store. Now called Lake.
Kit Carson Creek
Named for the Klebergs of the King Ranch whose mother was Alice King, daughter of Richard King of the King Ranch.
Early settlers were S. D. Arthur, Ryan and Duncan families.
Knox City, Texas
Named for the county which was named for Henry Knox, George Washington's Secretary of War.
Originally called Yellow Bank when it was settled by several Irish families in 1833. Among them were the William Ryan and Bernard ODoherty families. C. J. Koerth opened a General Store there in 1884 and the name was changed.
A projected townsite of Dr. J. T. O'Barr, it never flourished after it was founded in 1907.
Named for Captain Kyle Ferguson.
It was settled in 1847 by James McFarland. It was originally called McGowansville.
It was originally settled by James P. Ross who built a blockhouse there. John Henry Moore shot Ross, the blockhouse and the settlement then became known as Moore's Fort. Early settlers included John O'Ber and a Mr Powell.
Named for Thomas Lahey an early settler in 1879.
It is also called Lake McQueeny.
It was originally called Lake McDonald. It was the first large reservoir built in Texas (1890).
It was named by an early settler named McCurley.
Lake Jackson, Texas
Lake Lyndon Johnson
Now known as Lake Austin. It is located on the Colorado River.
It is also called Lake Abbott. It was formed by Abbott Dam in 1928.
Lake Pat Cleburne
It was originally called Kirkpatrick as the Post Office was in A. L. Kirkpatrick's general store.
It was founded by James Byrne. Archibald McRae built the first schoolhouse.
Originally called Burleson after John Burleson. Town was platted by G. W. Scott. Name was changed to Lampasas when it became the county seat of Lampasas County.
Named by Thomas McKee anearly settler. The name was suggested by his son, the Reverend T. N. McKee. The name comes from the name of an ancient Greek city.
Laughlin Air Force Base
Originally Laughlin Army Air Field.
Laughlin Army Air Field, Texas
This base was located in Del Rio, Texas in 1942. Named for Lt. Jack T. Laughlin the first Del Rio area pilot killed in WW II.
Thomas McConnell was the founder of this town.
Layden Ridge, Texas
Named for three Irish brothers: Greg, Tom, and Martin Layden. First known as Irish Ridge, the town today is called Talty, Texas.
Early settlers were Henry O'Neal, Jesse McCoy, and the Collins, Magee, Guinn, and Sullivan families.
Founded by Captain James Shaw, a veteran of San Jacinto.
The first Alcalde of Liberty was Hugh B. Johnson in 1831.
Built on land owned by D. C. McGregor.
The first lot for the town was bought by Henry Collins in 1849. The first newspaper started in this town was byHenry O'Neal.
It was named for Linn A. Daugherty in 1927.
Named after Linnville, Texas
Named and settled by John J. Linn. It was burned by Indians.
This town was settled by Bryan Kelly and his partner in 1875.
Little Elm Settlement, Texas
It was located in the Peters Colony and was settled by among others; the McNeil and Shahan families.
It was named by Mrs Arthur P. Duggan in 1912 for George W. Littlefield.
Live Oak, Texas
This area of Bee County was first called Ryan's Neighborhood for John Ryan an 1834 settler.
The first settler in the area was James Trainer whose Irish born father served with Francis "The Swamp Fox" Marion in the American Revolution.
Early settlers included Dick Brown, Walter Campbell and Bobby Payne.
First Postmaster was Frank McKean. Among the early settlers were Dr. McKeon and A. J. McGuyer. It was originally called Montvale.
Lone Wolf Community, Texas
Town site donated by John Maloney.
Lon Moore Creek
Named for Alonzo Moore. His father was Daniel Boone Moore a cousin of his namesake.
Long Mott, Texas
Early settlers were the Shannon and Dooley families among others. The first school teacher was John McCoupin in 1877.
Named for an early settler family.
This town was originally called Blue Goose and was developed on the Quinn family Double-Eye Ranch.
The first post office was in Stephen McReynold's store.
First Mayor and Postmaster was Tom McBrayer. He was Postmaster for 40 years. He was followed by Maymie McBrayer who also was postmaster for 40 years.
First Postmaster was Alice McGuire. Early settlers included; W. E. McLaughlin and the McGuire and Kelsey families.
It was founded in 1915 by J. E. McLemore.
The first postmaster was Alex McDow in 1890.
Thomas Monroe Hardeman helped found the town.
It was settled by Irishman Nicholas Lynch. He ran a ferry there in 1822.
Named for John Thomas Lytle son of Francis and Margaret (Collins) Lytle. He came from McSherrytown, PA. with his cousin Thomas M. McDaniel and his family, including his wife the former Elizabeth Noonan in 1860.
Land for the first school donated by William Carroll in 1885.
Now called Ladonia.
It was named for J. W. MacKay of the railroad.
MacKenzie Peak, Dickens County
Named for Ranald MacKenzie.
MacKenzie Reservoir, Swisher County
One of its earliest settlers was George Riley. The town is Trumball today.
Named for L. W. Macune, national president of the Farmer's Alliance in 1886. He had an Irish and a Scottish parent.
Named for Jerome Madden a railroad official.
Named after President James Madison, now Orange.
Established by Robert Hamilton and others.
Named for W. L. Magee an early settler. It was located on the Angelina River.
An early trading post begun by James Wiley Magoffin now a part of El Paso. Fort Bliss was located there twice, 1851 and 1854-1868.
Named for G. D. Mahon who owned the local grist mill and cotton gin.
G.W. Mahoney was the developer.
Dr. John Collins named it for a Russian town of the same name.
It is also called McFarland Lake.
Malone Mountains, Hudspeth County
The Hill County town is named for William Malone. An early settler was G. W. McNeese.
Located in Hudspeth County. Originally called Walling Village, and then Walling.
Named for Mamie Daugherty, daughter of William M. Daugherty who donated the town site.
William McKinney was one of its first founders. The land was owned by Younger Scott McKinney.
Named by James Ferguson for his wife. It means Marie's valley in German.
Named for Francis Marion, the Swamp Fox. Originally called McNiel's Landing.
Area originally called Sarahville de Viesca in honor of the mother of the founder, Sterling Robertson.
Early settlers were the Powell and McArthur families, among others.
Martin's Mill, Texas
First Postmaster was a Mr. Shaw.
Named for Mary Dunn, a local rancher.
Named for Mary & Neal Doran, railroad stockholders; or Mary Neal a stockholder; or the first girl born in the town. All three are claimed.
Named for Mary Fitch Carr.
Town site was donated by H.H. Campbell owner of the Matador Ranch.
First Alcalde was Ira Ingram.
Named for the wife of rancher Martin O'Connor.
Now called Murphy.
Developed from the John Cameron Grant of 1827.
Named for former governor Thomas M. Campbell's daughter. It was a consolidation of the towns: Pinetown, Java, Mount Comfort, and Ghent.
It was named for John McAdams.
It is named for William G. McAdoo the Secretary of the Treasury.
It was named for John McCallin who was from Glendermott Parish just outside Londonderry, Ireland. He was known to those in the area as McAllen. No doubt he got tired of trying to correct it and acquiesced. He became the owner, by marriage, of the Santa Anita Ranch which became the McAllen Ranch. The site of present-day McAllen was within the ranch's boundaries. John McAllen was one of the developers of the town.
The first Postmaster was E. Mullins. The New York Irish military unit, the "Fighting 69th" bivouacked there in 1916.
McAnelly's Bend, Texas
Named for Robert Daugherty McAnelly, town is now Bend, Texas.
Named for Scot John McBain.
Named for William H. McBee.
Named for George B. McCamey, the driller of Baker Well No. 1 which made McCamey a boomtown in 1926.
Named for W. P. McClean. W. R. Patterson was the first mayor. Once called "Uplift City" for a bra factory located there.
McClellan Creek, Gray County
Named for General George B. McClellan.
McClellan Creek Lake
McClellan National Grassland Park
Named for McClendon's general store.
It was named for D .F. McCollum who owned the store and mill.
Named for a storekeeper of 1856.
Named for Arthur and Peggy McCormick, later was known as Peggy's Lake.
Named after John McCoy.
There are several in different counties. The one in Red River County we know was named for Jasper McCoy, an early settler, another was named for W. A. McCoy.
Named after John McCrabb.
It was settled by the McCurley brothers in 1852.
It was named for James W. McDade, an early settler. It was originally called Tie Town.
Named for storekeeper S. P. McDermott.
In Crosby County this creek is named for an early cattleman.
A hill built by a McDonald family near Gilmer, Texas.
It is named for Arthur McDow.
There is one each in Shackelford and Stephens counties.
Named for James A. McFaddin. Town was originally called Marianna.
Named for James McFarland.
It was named for S. H. McFarland. It is also called Malden Lake.
McGarrah Settlement, Texas
Named for John (Jack) McGarrah and his wife Polly. Town became Buckner, Texas.
Located on the Angelina River.
McGee Bend Project
A Dam project on the Angelina River in 1949, its name was later changed to Sam Rayburn Dam and Reservoir.
It was a railroad switch for the Reuben McGee Ranch in Denton County.
It was named for an early settler of Montague County.
It is located in El Paso.
McGlasson Community, Texas
Established by George McGlasson in 1851.
Located between Corpus Christi and Ingleside.
McGough Springs, Texas
It was named for W. C. McGough who established the post office there.
McGrary's Chapel, Texas
Also called at one time or another: Sabine, Mount Moriah, Goforth, Hog Eye and Liberty City.
McGraw Creek, Newton County
Named for Dr. Gregor Carmichael McGregor. Originally called McGregor Springs.
McGrew Creek, Hunt County
It was named for John McGrew.
McGuire Community, Texas
Named for Thomas McKee.
McKelligon Canyon Park, El Paso
McKenzie Creek, Scurry County
McKenzie Draw, Yoakum County
, Gaines County
, Martin County
Named for F. S. McKenzie who donated land for a school in 1908.
McKim Creek, Sabine County
Named for James McKim.
McKinney Bayou, Galveston County
Named for Thomas McKinney, it no longer exists.
McKinney Falls State Park
It is named for Thomas McKinney.
McKinney Lake, Bowie County
Named for Ashley McKinney
Named for W. Q. McKinney, an early settler.
McKinney Spring, Texas
Settled by John and T. D. McKinney.
Named for Colin McKinney.
Named for Thomas F. McKinney. Now called Port Neches.
McKnight Settlement, Texas
It was settled in Donley County by Red Daugherty.
It was named for William McLaughlin.
Named for a railroad president.
Named for E. J. McMahan an early settler.
Named for Robert McManus. It was located on the Trinity River.
McMillan Mountains, Bell County
Named for Newton McMillin a Texas Ranger company commander in 1859.
Opened in 1880 at Tilden, Texas under sponsorship of the Baptist Church.
Located in Abilene.
Shipping station for the O'Connor Ranch named for the family of the mother of Will, Jim, and Lawrence O'Connor.
Named for James M. McNary an El Paso banker.
Early settlers were the Cahill, Millegan, and Walsh familes. Town was named for a railroad section foreman.
McNiel's Landing, Texas
Now called Marion.
Named for Robert McNutt.
Named for a railroad official.
Named by the McShane Lumber Company, abandoned.
First settler was Christopher Fagan in 1865.
Founded by Doctor T. J. Johnson from Scotland.
Memorial Park, Houston
The city's largest park, the property was sold to the city by Will Hogg, son of the former governor.
First Postmaster was James E. Kelly in 1904. Among the early settlers were Perry Neal and a McCarthy family.
First settler was J. J. Gallaher in 1873.
Among the early settlers were: R. D. Kennedy, J. H. McCain, T. H. Robertson, B. W. Jackson, and the Parker family who built Fort Parker.
Founded by Thomas O'Loughlin.
Second Postmaster was Mrs Ida B. Gallagher in 1901.
Named for Ben Milam.
First Mayor was W. R. McDaniel in 1888.
Millsap Valley, Texas
Now called Mineral Wells, an early settler was J. W. Lynch in 1877.
Named for an old mill built by Willis Calloway and Enoch Hays.
Named by Ira H. Evans for his daughter, Ola and a friend, Minnie Patton. Early settlers included Stephen Kelly. Originally known as Sodom.
Mineral Wells, Texas
Judge J. W. Lynch had a cabin there in 1877. Originally called Millsap Valley.
Among the early settlers were B. H. Stewart and a Mr Kelly.
Originally called Conway after John C. Conway.
Founded by Thomas O'Laughlin and family among others. Town has also been known as Hidetown and Sweetwater City.
Monahans Sandhills State Park
Named for John Monahans who dug the first water well.
Laid out by Thomas McFarland.
Monohans Draw, Midland County
Now called New Deal, the general store was run by Mr Connell. Named for Monroe G. Abernathy.
Originally called Butler's Neighborhood for L. G. and A. B. Butler. Mase Lynch named it for a traveling salesman named Monty and his wife, Ola.
Named for General Richard Montgomery of the American Revolution. Andrew Montgomery and Owen Shannon were early settlers.
Moore's Fort, Texas
Later known as LaGrange, this settlement developed around a blockhouse built by James P. Ross and taken over by John Henry Moore after shooting Ross.
Named for John J. Moran, President of the MKT R.R..
John Kelly was among the early settlers.
An early settler was R. H. McCausland who was the town's first school teacher in 1923.
Named for Terrell Jackson whose nickname was "Moscow."
Located near Hunt, Texas it was owned by Daniel J. Moran, former CEO of Cononco. It is now a retreat and conference center for the Presbyterian Synod.
J. W. McGill operated a trading post there in 1876.
Mound Praire, Texas
Founded by Methodist minister, J. K. Malone.
Among the early settlers was Robert Caldwell.
Mount Blanco Community, Texas
Finanaced in part by Lord Jameson of Ireland. Mrs. Elizabeth (Boyle) Smith was the first Postmistress.
Mount Comfort, Texas
Joined three other communities to become Maydelle named after Governor Thomas M. Campbell's daughter.
Mount Moriah, Texas
See McGarary's Chapel.
Mount Petrea, Texas
Settled by James A. Crawford.
Mount Pleasant, Texas
Settled in parts through the efforts of James H. Cowan.
Mount Sterling, Texas
Founded by John Durst in 1838.
Mount Vernon, Texas
Originally called Keith's for Stephen Keith.
Mulberry Flat, Texas
The first school teacher was a McGeehee.
Named for the good padre, Michael Muldoon, the friar Tuck of the Texas Revolution.
Founded by a Mullin family in 1857. Early settlers were: the Kirkpatrick, Conner, and McCormick families.
Named for J. L. Mullins, now called Rosebud.
Reverend Edward Wallace helped to found the town on property that belonged to several men, one of whom was J. N. Campbell.
Murphy Creek, Shakelford County
Settled by C. P. McMillen and named for William Murphy in 1846. Originally called Maxwell.
Named for T. C. Murphy, the owner of the local water hole; now named Alpine, Texas.
Named for J. J. Murray an early settler.
Murray's Fort, Texas
A family fort located in Shackleford County during the Civil War.
This ghost town in Washington County was at one time the residence of William Barrett Travis.
Mustang Branch, Texas
Settled in 1842 by Thomas Keenan, it was named by fellow settler and his brother-in-law, William Cochran, for the mustang grapes that grew wild in the areain 1843. The name was later changed to Farmers Branch.
Myrtle Springs, Texas
Named for Myrtle Murrey, town was originally called Hidden Springs.
Next Section of Celtic Texas N - S>