II. Celtic Cities, Towns and Place Names in Texas N - S
In towns that list the: general store owner, postmaster, postmistress, schoolteacher, or an early settler(s), the person(s) named was/were usually among the founding families of the community. Generally, the Celtic connection of an individual or place is not given if it is obviously a Celtic name or if the connection is made in the text of the book.
Early Celtic settlers were: Samuel Davenport, William Barr, Philip Nolan, Peter Ellis Bean, John Quinelti, John Cornegy, and many more.
Originally called Park for J. N. Parker.
Founded by Sterling C. Robertson in honor of his birthplace, Nashville, Tennessee. Became Shelbyville.
Originally called Nolanville for James Nolan the owner of a stagecoach stop.
It was settled by A. V., T. P. and J. A. McCormick in 1890. Early settlers were Michael O'Kieff and Michael Gallagher and 27other Irish families. Previously known as Shamrock and then Wind. It became a German community.
Named for George McNiel a railroad foreman.
Now called Cottonwood.
Named for W. J. Neale an early settler.
Named for an early settler family.
Town site donated by Murdock McDonald. J. B. McDonald operated the general store in 1897. The town was originally called Nechesville.Next Section of Celtic Texas T- Z >
Now called Neches, town site was donated by Murdock McDonald.
Originally called Hortontown as it was on land owned by A.C. Horton.
Named for Claiborne Neil.
Neil's Creek, Bosque County
New Braunfels, Texas
The first mercantile business in town was Scotsman James Ferguson's.
New Columbia, Texas
Named was changed to Jacks, Texas to honor A. A. "Jack" McMahon.
New Deal, Texas
General store was operated by a Mr Connell and his son Billy. Town was originally called Monroe in 1910.
New Hagansport, Texas
Named for Hagan's Port on the Sulpher River.
New Ulm, Texas
Originally it was Duff's Settlement named for James C. Duff on whose land grant it was located.
A former town settled by a Celtic family, now a part of Wylie,Texas.
Named by Mrs McCreary in 1872 for town squabbling.
First Postmistress and an early settler was Elizabeth Wallace.
Named for Comanche Chief Peta Nocona, husband to Cynthia Ann Parker.
Named after Philip Nolan, now called Belton.
Located in Nolan County.
Named for Philip Nolan.
Nolands River, Texas
Named for James Nolan owner of a stagecoach stop. Now called Navosota.
First Mayor was Hugh Ferguson.
Among the early settlers were Mat Nolan and Virgina O'Neal Hernandez. Town was first called San Domingo in 1856.
Norman's Crossing, Texas
An early settler was M. R. Kennedy.
North Rusk, Texas
One mile north of Rusk which is named for Thomas Jefferson Rusk.
Said to be named by A. Garner from the time he entered Bill Griffin's one chair barber shop and said "it was as cold as the Northpole outside."
Named for Farris Knox the first postmaster.
Founded by Henry L. Kinney for Irish families in 1852.
Nugent Mountain, Brewster County
Built on land owned by W. H. Kyle. Named for Nick O'Brien a railroad superintendent.
Named for T. J. O'Donnell a railroad official.
Located on a site originally owned by James Bowie. Named after the homesite of David G. Burnet.
Originally an Irish settlement in the San Patricio colony. Site donated by Thomas Wilson.
H. P. McCall was one of its early settlers.
O'Byrne's Mill Settlement, Texas
Formed around the mill built by Irishborn John O'Byrne. He also built a school and church.
Named for M. F. O'Dell a railroad engineer.
First School Master was Methodist minister, Rev. M. A. Daugherty in 1889.
Settled by Daniel Dugan in 1836.
Named by Levi McCulloch an early postmaster "because the vegetable grew well there."
Old Brownsboro, Texas
Named for Irish born John "Red" Brown in 1836.
Old Franklin, Texas
Located on land donated by Edward McMillan.
Old Glory, Texas
An early settler was Howel Ely Carr.
Old Harrison, Texas
Named for General James E. Harrison.
Old Nashville, Texas
Settled by Billy Moore, John Bailey, James Laughlin, a Mr Powers, and a McCandis family among others.
Old Ocean, Texas
Originally called Chance's Prairie, an early settler was John Sweeney in 1837.
Now called Campbell to honor former governor Thomas Campbell.
An early settler was L. D. Jackson. L. C. Jackson was the first Postmaster.
Located in Fayette County.
Named for Governor Oran M. Roberts. It was later called Parnell.
Among its early settlers was Alexander Gilmer who was born in County Armagh. He was at the Battle of Sabine Pass aboard the Josiah H. Bell.
Among the early settlers was a McGill family.
This Colorado County town was named by Postmaster, Samuel Davies McLeary for the trees in the area.
It became Murphyville and then Alpine.
Named for E. Owens who donated the townsite.
Named for Harrison Owen the first County Clerk.
Named for Cliff Owens of Tyler, Texas in 1942.
Built on property owned by E. M. Powell.
Site of the Dunn Ranch of Thomas and Catherine Dunn 1883-1970.
Built on the homesite of the J. J. McAdams family. Among the early settlers was C. H. Scott. An early Postmaster was Benton Carroll.
It was an early home of Daniel Parker.
The headquarters of the J.A. Ranch.
Pampa Air Force Base
Established largely due to the efforts of Pampa Mayor Fred Thompson in the 1940's.
Originally called Carson City to honor Samuel P. Carson. Among the early settlers were Billy Dixon and Jesse Wynne.
Among the early settlers were Patrick and William Quinn, Brigida Quinn Black and Robert Carlisle, all Irish immigrants who settled there in 1828.
Named for J. N. Parker, now called Nash.
The one in Johnson County is named for a railroad official.
There is another in Colin County.
Platted by Colonel J.H. Burnett in 1895.
Founded in 1854 by James Moore Patrick and his brothers: John Thomas and Marion Leander Patrick. The Patricks led a group of Irish families to the site by wagon train from Bethel, South Carolina
Patterson Settlement, Texas
Named For George W. Patterson, now named Sabinal.
Paul Quinn College
Established in Waco in 1872 by the African Methodist Episcopal Church.
Named for Pecos Callahan.
Named for Irish born Margaret McCormick who lived on the San Jacinto battlefield.
Surveyed by William McFarland.
Early settlers included J. H. O'Neal and the Duncan and Sullivan families.
Among the early settlers was H. D. McDowd.
Named by John C. Kelly for his business partner. Among the early settlers were E. L. Calhoun, Dan McClendon, M. G. Cameron, and E. J. Kelso.
General store was run by Ed McGar. Among its early settlers were: the McGars and Fergusons. The town was originally called Black Jack Community.
C.L. McGowan was the first Postmaster.
Texas has two; one in Edwards County named for, Zebulon Pike, and another in Pecos County.
Joined with three other communities to become Maydelle named after Governor Thomas M. Campbell's daughter.
Established by John D. and Major W. H. Pitts, their mother was Drusilla O'Neal.
Among the early settlers were: Leroy McCraven and Pat McHugh.
Site of a statue honoring Ranald Mckenzie.
An early settler was J. C. McKinney who operated the general store and the one room schoolhouse.
Pleasant Hill, Texas
Founded on land granted to John Houlihan, a native of Ireland.
Pleasant Valley, Texas
In Dallas County, this town was settled by T. J. McCain and E. B. Hughes in 1881.
An early settler was Tobias Kelly.
Pools Crossing, Texas
Early settler was E. L. Mullins, area is now Rosebud, Texas.
Located on land once owned by Sarah Ellen Moorman who is descended from Zacariah Moorman who was born on the Isle of Man in 1620.
Port Arthur, Texas
Town was laid out by Horatio McMullen Hanks.
Port Isabel, Texas
An early settler after the colonial period was George Scanlon. Henry L. Kinney spent a lot of time in the city prior to the Mexican War.
Port Neches, Texas
Originally called McKinney for Thomas F. McKinney.
Named for Thomas O'Connor who sold the land. The point of land was originally called Alligator Head.
Port Preston, Texas
Located on land once owned by Robert Patrick Hearne.
Port San Marcos, Texas
Laid out by General Hugh McLeod.
Port Sullivan, Texas
Augustus Sullivan was an early settler.
Port Sullivan College
It was originally Pottsville then Pottsborough. Among its early settlers were Holland Coffee and Colonel W. G. Cooke.
Powell Point, Texas
A Mr Powell owned the site.
Located in Menard County, it was discovered in 1961.
Prairie Lea, Texas
First home there was built by Texas Ranger James H. Callahan. Thomas Monroe Hardeman helped establish the town. The Dublin Plantation was located there.
Built around Holland Coffee's trading station.
One of the first four settlers was a man named McCord.
Prices Creek, Texas
Settled by Richards Powers and David Murphree.
Named for Quanah Parker. The first schoolmistress was Edith McCann.
Queen City, Texas
Captain Ross Powell was one of its founders.
Settled by William Edgar McKinney. It was named for Irish born Judge George E. Quinan who helped found the Texas State Bar.
J. M. O'Brien operated the store in this Bee County town.
Named for James Quinn.
T. B. Griffin was an early settler and operated the general store.
Its co-founder was W. E. McLaughlin in 1911.
First Postmaster was James W. Campbell.
An early settler was James McCoy Patton.
An early settler was Dr. H. L. McCall.
First Postmaster was Lewis B. Grogan.
Settled by Thomas Keenan in 1841; William Cochran was an early settler. Now called Farmers Branch.
Reagan Canyon, Brewster County
Named for W. R. Reagan, brother of John H. Reagan. Robert Emmet B. Baylor was an early preacher there.
Reagan Wells, Texas
Named for an early settler family named Reagan.
Red Bluff, Texas
Located in the area of a grant to Patrick Scott in 1830.
Red Mound, Texas
later became Milam in honor of Ben Milam.
Founded by James Power and James Hewettson.
S. M. Moore was the first Postmaster in 1890.
Reilly Springs, Texas
James Reilly owned the land.
Originally called Roddy.
It was the home of Abner Jackson and then James Hamilton. It is now Retrieve State Prison.
Retrieve State Prison
see Retrieve Plantation.
Among its early settlers were the Connally, McWorter and Nolan families.
Rice's Crossing, Texas
William Willis Avery and William McCutcheon were early settlers.
Named by Henry Jones for Richmond, Virgina. The first mayor was T. F. McKamy in 1925. Bernard Reilly along with another donated the land which was a part of the original Peters Colony.
Rio Frio, Texas
This town which had Irishman Pat Cavanaugh's store has changed names many times.
Rio Grande City, Texas
Established by Henry Clay Davis in 1847.
Rio Hondo, Texas
It was "created" by Samuel Arthur Robertson's "Spider Web" Railroad.
Rio Vista, Texas
W. H. Hughes donated the land.
Rising Star, Texas
Named by D.D. McConnell.
Rob and Bess Welder Wildlife Foundation and Refuge
Rob Hughes Welder was a descendant of James Power.
Robert Lee, Texas
Named for Robert E. Lee.
Robinson Creek, Hood County
Named for Robert Driscoll.
Rock Creek, Texas
General store in this McLennan County community was operated by Thomas McCrary in the 1900's.
Named by John H. Kirby for his friend Charles Rogan.
Named for President Theodore Roosevelt.
Previous names include: Pools Crossing, Greer's Horsepen, and Mullins. This town was settled by J. L. Mullins who named the town after his daughter's habit of wearing a rosebud.
Founded by R. T. Mulcahy.
Ross City, Texas
Named for the donor of the site.
Named for Sul Ross.
It was originally called Rosstown, and was named for three Ross brothers. T. A. Ross was the first Postmaster.
Named for two Scotch brothers, William and John C. Ross.
Among the early settlers was C. W. McCombs.
Round Top, Texas
Among the early settlers was the Robinson family. The first Postmaster was H. A. Robertson.
Early settlers were Owen Rowlett, Thomas Payne Daniel, and S. Ross McEntee.
Founded by Irish born Edward Dougherty in 1850.
Rue Settlement, Texas
It was in the Peters Colony and was settled by the Ferguson and Jackson families and others.
Named for Thomas Jefferson Rusk.
Ben Murphy was an early settler.
Ryan's Neighborhood, Texas
Named for John Ryan an early settler in Bee County in 1834. Now called Live Oak.
Originally named Patterson Settlement for George W. Patterson.
Town developed on land owned by a McGaffney. Sam Houston was among the town's developers.
Named for a Lucas family that were early settlers. The name is Lucas spelled backwards.
Saint Jo, Texas
See Head of Elm.
Founded by Sterling C. Robertson.
Salt City, Texas
C.W. McMean and James McMean were early settlers.
John Arthur settled this town in 1850. Originally called Twin Groceries, early settlers were the McGill and McAfee families.
James Power was one of its founders.
Sam Houston National Forest
Sam Rayburn Dam and Reservoir
Originally named the McGee Bend Project in 1949, it was changed to honor Sam Rayburn.
Sam Rayburn Lake
The lake is also named for "Mister Sam."
San Augustine, Texas
Philip Nolan's mustang corral was there. The first settlement was called Ayish Bayou, but it had so many Irish it was often called Irish Bayou. See the text for early settlers.
San Benito, Texas
Founded by Colonel Sam Robertson in 1907. He was the first Postmaster.
San Domingo, Texas
Among the early settlers were Mat Nolan and Virginia O'Neal Hernandez. Town was later called Normanna.
San Felipe, Texas
Laid out by Seth Ingram.
Sam Houston National Forest
San Jacinto, Texas
A planned community of Nathaniel Lynch located where the San Jacinto Battlefield was and thus its name.
San Patricio, Texas
Originally called San Patricio de Hibernia, which means Saint Patrick of Ireland in Spanish.
San Patricio Trail
An old trail that connected San Patricio to San Antonio.
San Saba, Texas
Settled by Headly Polk a relative of the former U. S. President, James K. Polk.
Developed around the McKnight State Sanatorium.
Sandtown Settlement, Texas
It was located in the Peters Colony, among its early settlers were two preachers; J. F. McElhannon and Alvis Jackson.
George McCain operated a sawmill and a grist mill there in 1873.
Santa Anna, Texas
Name changed to Texana in 1835. This town was founded by Pamela McNutt and her sister's (Martha McNutt) husband. After the Texas Revolution, the Allen brothers attempted to buy the town. When they were turned down, they went on to found Houston.
Sarahville de Viesca, Texas
Founded by Sterling C. Robertson, he named it for his mother.
Named for the grandaughter of Miflin Kenedy, Sarita Kenedy.
Named for Governor Joseph D. Sayers.
Science Hill, Texas
Among the early settlers were: Jack Scott, Oliver Scott, and the Reverend West Jackson.
Named by H. J. Scott. Founded by William Thomas Scott in 1834.
There are two; one in Van Zandt and one in Hildago County.
Settled by William Thomas Scott in 1834.
First Postmaster was Norman McKinnon.
William McDougal was an early settler.
Laid out by Ben McCulloch. It was originally called Walnut Springs. Early settlers included both McCulloch brothers, Andrew Jackson and John Sowell.
Seven D Ranch
Established in 1868 by Peter Gallagher.
George Jones and J. J. Moore were early settlers.
Now called Nazareth.
Named by George Nichols an Irish sheep rancher. Town newspaper is the Shamrock Texan, prints in green ink on Saint Patrick's Day. A piece of the Blarney Stone from Blarney Castle, Ireland, is on display in one of its city parks
Shannon Crossing, Texas
Early community in the Irish colonies. Located where Shannon's store was in Gussettville.
Shaw Bend, Texas
One in Colorado County and one in San Saba County; both are named for early settlers.
A road built by Colonel William G. Cooke following an old Indian trail from the Red River to Austin.
Was originally Nashville.
The earliest known settler in the area was Aaron Cherry.
Named for Hugh Sheridan an early pioneer.
Named for General Sidney Sherman and settled by Colonel R. J. Shannon on Saint Patrick's Day, 1846.
Founded by L. R. McCorkle.
Early settlers were the Connells, McKinley and Roddy families in 1875.
Named for Sidney Sherman. Originally called Jimmie's Creek for James Cunningham.
Named by lumberman John Henry Kirby.
On land owned by S. J. Keating. Named to honor Irishman David Sinton. The co-founder was the daughter of James Power, Delores de la Portilla.
An early settler was General Lou McAllen.
The town was named by Patrick McHugh and his sister Kate for their county back in Ireland. Kate served as the first Postmistress.
Established by Murray Burleson and Joseph D. Sayers.
Named for Noah Smithwick.
First Postmaster was William McCullough, early settlers were: McCullough, Bud Scott, H. L. McCrary, and the Cowan, McDougal and Kerr families.
Snow Hill, Texas
Was originally Buchanan and is now Cason.
Now Mineola, first settled by C. P. McMillen.
Among the early settlers were: the McBee, Bailey, and Kenny families.
R. W. Callahan was the principal founder. He was the storekeeper and first Postmaster.
Sorrel Creek, Texas
James Calhoun an early settler.
Sour Lake, Texas
An early settler was Stephen Jackson in 1835.
South Bend, Texas
Originally called Arkansas, town got its name from Mr. Kirby who operated the general store. He was from South Bend, Indiana.
Named for the John Sowell family. They came to Texas in 1829.
Spanish Bluff, Texas
Became Trinity, among its early settlers were: Michael Quinn, John McGee, Henry Sheridan, Hugo Coyle, James Fear, and John Mulroney.
Spanish Camps, Texas
A McKinney family were early settlers.
Spring Creek, Texas
Settled by T. J. Shaw in 1854.
An early schoolteacher was Archibald McKinney.
Staggers Point, Texas
Located in the Robertson Colony, among its early settlers were the Dunn and McMillan families.
James Dunn built a fort there called Dunn's Fort.
Stampede Springs, Texas
Established in 1878 with several Irish families among its ealry settlers. Later became Shannon, Texas to honor the Shannon Valley in Ireland where many of the families originated.
Founded by Sterling C. Robertson.
Settled by J. P. Stewart an early rancher.
Named for W. P. Stewart.
Stewarts Creek Settlement, Texas
Named for Isaac Stewart, the first settler in this Peters Colony settlement. Among the settlers were: Jack Riley, Ben Strahan, Elder Kerr and a family of McWhorters.
Named for W. P. Stewart.
Named for Fletcher Stockdale.
Stonewall City, Texas
Named for Stonewall Jackson.
Stonewall Jackson Camp
A reunion ground for the United Confederate Veterans of Archer County from 1898- 1935. It was near Holliday.
William McKissack operated the general store.
An early settler was W. C. Cochran. Built on land owned by Steven B. Strawn and James N. Stuart.
Settled by John D. Pitts.
Named by B. F. Terry and W. J. Kyle.
Sullivan Settlement, Texas
It was named for its first settler, J. H. Sullivan in 1850.
Named for Jim Sullivan a railroad president.
Sutherland Springs, Texas
Named for John Sutherland, the doctor at the Alamo. Travis sent him to Gonzales. Sutherlands brother and nephew perished at the Alamo.
Named for John Sweeny of the Somervell Expedition
Sweetwater City, Texas
Founded by the Thomas O'Laughlin family among others, now called Mobeetie.
One of its first settlers was George Riley. The town is Trumball today.
Return to Table of Contents >