II. Celtic Cities, Towns and Place Names in Texas T - Z
In towns that list the: general store owner, postmaster, postmistress, schoolteacher, or an early settler(s), the person(s) named was/were usually among the founding families of the community. Generally, the Celtic connection of an individual or place is not given if it is obviously a Celtic name or if the connection is made in the text of the book.
Originally settled by Irish families including the Laydens, Vaughns and OConnors. It was previously known as Laydens Ridge and then Irish Ridge before becoming Talty.
Settled by Hugh Wilson in 1856.
John Snider, an Irishman, was an early settler. Frenchy McCormick was its last resident. It is now the site of Cal Farley's Boys Ranch.
George Burkett and Dan Murphy and schoolteacher John McMurry are early settlers.
W. E. Gilliland was the first Postmaster.
Originally called Santa Anna and founded by Pamela McNutt Porter along with her sister's
(Martha McNutt) husband.
The Irish Settlement, Texas
Town is now called Burlington.
Settled by Henry Milligan in 1893.
Near Burkeville, it is named for a survey done for William Williams in 1834. Among the early settlers were the Collins, Conner, Jones and McGee families.
Laid out by Henry McCulloch. First house was built by Irishman James H. Moore who named the town after his father in law, Nathan Thomas.
Named for J. E. Thompson an early settler and a Postmaster. Name changed to Kenney in 1890.
Located in the San Marcos River, they are named for Dr. Alexander Thompson.
Settled by Cain Hogan.
Settled by the John C. Mullins family in 1858. He operated the general store and was the first Postmaster.
J. J. Mooney ran the general store.
Tie Town, Texas
Now called McDade, Texas.
Named for Samuel Tilden the Democratic candidate for President in 1876.
Named by W. L. McGaughey for his friend Alf Tolar.
Tom Miller Dam
First Postmaster was E. L. Mooney in 1900.
Jesse E. Gilliland was the Postmaster.
Among its early settlers were: Jim Connelly Jr. and a Grady Family.
Trinity City, Texas
Located on property owned by Amon and S. B. McCommas.
This town has a long list of former names: Switch in 1872; Ghost Hill; Mackie; Clemma in 1892 and Trumball in 1904. One of its first settlers was George Riley.
Town was located on land owned by W. G. Connor.
Jabez Fitzgerald was one of the founders.
Built on land that was once the George A. Kerr Ranch.
Named for W. W. Turney.
Named for pioneer settler J. A. Turney.
Twin Groceries, Texas
Earlier name for Saltillo, Texas because it had two grocery stores. John Arthur founded the town in 1850.
Named for John Tynan.
Union Grove, Texas
Was the plantation home of Irish born John O'Byrne.
Union Hill, Texas
Settled by William B McClellan.
Upper Cuero Creek Settlement
Settled by John McCoy in 1827.
It was originally called Waresville after William Ware who was born in Ireland.
Van Alstyne, Texas
Originally called Mantua, it was laid out by Younger Scott McKinney.
Varner-Hogg State Plantation
Its first Mayor was John J. Linn in 1835.
Virginia City, Texas
Short lived town founded by Samuel D. McCloud in 1909. Platted by Mathew C. Vaughn.
Originally called Irish Creek Settlement.
Early settlers were George W. O'Neill and Augustus Dunn.
An early settler was Niel McLennan. Shapely P. Ross was an early buyer of town lots on land formerly owned by Thomas Jefferson Chambers.
Among the early settlers were: the Kelly, Stewart, McVea, Adair, and McBride families.
Established by Daniel Waggoner whose mother was Elizabeth McGaugh. Ranch was started in 1851.
First man buried in the town was O. G. O'Dell.
Wallace Creek, Texas
One of the developers was Reuben McKea.
Wallace Draw, Irion County
Named for Jesse Wallace.
Walnut Springs, Texas
Original name of Sequin, Texas which was layed out by Ben McCulloch. Early settlers were: Henry McCulloch, Mathew Caldwell, James Campbell, Andrew Jackson and John Sowell, Robert D. McAnely, Andrew Neill, and a Mr Cody. Governor John Ireland had a law office there.
Named for William Walsh.
Named for Thomas Ward. Land was donated by William O'Neal.
Named for William Ware, a native of Ireland. The settlement was near present day Utopia, Texas. Five families lived there.
Settled and surveyed by Jesse Bartlett, a veteran of the Battle of New Orleans and San Jacinto. Town was located on the West Bank of the Brazos River below mouth of the New Years Creek (where Highway 290 crosses the Brazos today) in Washington County. J. W. Crawford operated the ferry there around which the town grew. The coming of the railroad spelled the end for Warren.
Located on land owned by the J. A. Ranch. R. E. Montgomery promoted the townsite.
Grew up around the ferry operated by Andrew Robinson, Sr..
It was first called Powellton for Thomas D. Powell.
Town is now called Burlington.
Original name for Austin. Town (Austin) was laid out by Edward Burleson.
Named for the Waverly novels of Sir Walter Scott.
Originally called Buelah for Beulah McSpadden. Curtiss McGehee was the first Postmaster.
D. W. Jackson donated the townsite.
Named for the Duke of Wellington.
West Columbia, Texas
Originally called Bell's Landing which was the home of Josiah H. Bell and his wife the former Evelyn McKenzie. It is also the location of the Varner-Hogg Plantation where James Hogg grew up.
Originally called Bold Springs, first Postmaster was Richard D. McCrary in 1852.
W. S. McDougal operated the first grocery store and W. O. Griffen operated the general store.
First Postmistress was Beatrice McCracken in 1896.
Named for Juan, a worker on the McCain Ranch. Settled by S. H. McCain.
Wichita Falls, Texas
Townsite was won in a poker game by J. A. Scott.
George W. O'Brien owned the property and named the town. First Postmaster was Onnie Mea O'Brien.
William Carey College
Established at Independence, Texas in 1885. It became Binford University.
It was settled by William A. McBee in 1850. Early settlers were the Sullivan and McKain families. The first home was built by John A. O'Neal. The first Mayor was T. J. McKean.
Was originally Shamrock and later named Nazareth.
The first settler was Nancy Fitzgerald and children, another early family were the McClellans.
First Postmaster was Mamie McKandler.
Established by W. R. McMillan who named the town for his step father John E. Winn.
Named for Winona Douglas.
Originally called Trinity by Mrs Helen Kerr Thompson.
Emerged around Edward Stuart's store of 1857.
Yell Settlement, Texas
Elisha McCuistion was one of the founders.
An early settler was John H. Dunn.
Yellow Prairie, Texas
Named by Eugene McGloin.
Named by David McKey.
Return to Table of Contents >
Next section Houston and Harris, County, Texas >