II. John Joseph Moran

(My Father)

orn September 28, 1910 to Patrick John and Bridget Agnes Moran in South Boston, Massachusetts, John was the second child and the second son of eleven children. John Moran went to school at St. Augustine's in South Boston. His family moved to Dorchester in 1917 and there he attended St. Margaret's School until he graduated in 1924. He was not an "A" student. He made his best grades in Religion, Math and Physical Training. He got by in everything else. After graduation from St. Margaret's, John Moran attended Boston English High School. His grades improved markedly. The better grades were no doubt because he was also attending night school at Central Evening High School in Boston. He still found time to work as a pallbearer at the French, Shriner and Urner Funeral Parlor. John graduated with scholastic honors. He won the Edwin Bok Award in Excellence in English his Senior year, 1928.

< John J. Moran High School Graduation picture

Early on, it was clear John Moran was a gifted athlete.

This picture is when he was in his teens winning a foot race>

He played baseball, football, hockey and even boxed a little.







He played baseball for the Dorchester Tigers and it is there he got his nickname of "Dingy". John was a catcher. There was a veteran player on the team. He was a big man and had been the team's catcher for years. His name was Ding. They began to call John Moran, "Little Ding". Over time as John Moran's ball playing years eclipsed those of catcher Ding's, John Moran was called "Dingy".

After graduation from high school, John Moran went to work for the telephone company, New England Telephone and Telegraph Company, as an installer and repairman. His hire date was July1, 1929.

John and his father >

He continued to play ball joining the Professional New England Football League in 1929. He played for the Dorchester Millstream as a quarterback, halfback and as a defensive back. He also played for the Dorchester Cardinals.

In 1932, he quit the telephone company. He got an offer to play football full time from the Philadelphia Eagles.

The depression made it necessary for John Moran to help his family. Ding sacrificed much to help support his family. He was not the oldest, but his ability to find work gave him the responsibility. He was paid for playing ball and still held jobs at a bakery and Murphy's Funeral Home. Both these employers allowed his schedule to be flexible to meet his football schedule. John Moran's pay helped get the family through the tough times.

John with friends, Betty Mulcahey and Eleanor Traynor, in 1927

His father, Patrick John Moran, had arthritis and was not able to get work. His days as a meat cutter had taken its toll on his hands. To complicate matters further, the Depression was reaching into everyone's lives. The tenants of the Moran homes were unable to pay the rent. John Moran's father was very appreciative of his second son's financial cooperation and it gave John a status in the household different than it otherwise would have been.

John fractured his left ankle in 1935. That took him out of football and back with the telephone company. He joined the International Brotherhood of Telephone Workers and settled in for a career with New England Telephone and Telegraph.

In 1937 - 1938 John was doing some work for the telephone company at a car dealership. He got to talking to one of the salesmen there, John "Jack" Monagle. A friendship was begun and Jack Monagle asked John to come to his home for dinner. There John met Jack's daughter, Frannie, and the rest as they say is history, or in this case genealogy.

Frances Monagle of Brookline and John Moran of Dorchester were not a likely pairing. People from the area of Brookline, home of the Kennedy's and other well to do, lace curtain, fruit on the table Irish Americans did not normally mix with the rough and tumble South Boston or Dorchester ghetto Irish Americans. Typically there was quite an income difference as well as an education gap between the two groups.

They say opposites attract. There were plenty of differences between these two besides where they lived. John was a short man. As an athlete, he had an impressive physique. He was a quiet man. He usually tried to work within the system, whatever it was, speaking out only when absolutely necessary. He was very social with a ready smile and easily forgot past transgressions.

Frannie Monagle was tall, garrulous, ready to voice her opinion at the drop of a hat. She was very stylish, even glamorous. She was independent thinking and would hold a grudge for a long time against anyone who crossed her. The Monagle's had hoped she would go to college but there was something of a rebel in her. She was working for a Cadillac dealer and taking flying lessons when her father brought John Moran home for dinner.

Frannie and Jack weren't the only persons in the Monagle household who liked John Moran. Frannie's mother, Peg, gave John a large, black onyx ring in 1938 that he wore with pride the rest of his life.

August of 1940 turned out to be a very important month in the life of John and Fran Moran. They were still in the midst of their planning for a large elaborate wedding scheduled for August 25, when on August 3, Pa Moran suffered a massive heart attack. On August 8, he died. The couple decided to call off the wedding until a suitable mourning period had passed. Ma Moran intervened and told them to go ahead with the marriage.

The two were married on the 25th of August but not in the elaborate wedding that was planned. Because of the mourning period for John Moran's father, they were married in the rectory with just a few witnesses.

They moved into a home on 11B Goodway Drive in Jamaica Plain just outside Boston.

John Moran was installing PBXs and telephone line at the nearby Boston Army Base. During his off time he still enjoyed playing baseball and he added a new sport, deep sea fishing.

Like 1940, 1941 was a year that altered the rest of John Moran's life. In July, a son, Gerard Patrick Moran, was born and there were great expectations. They moved into a larger home at 32 Eldridge Road in Forest Hills, another suburb of Boston. In December the war was slammed into the faces of Americans by the Japanese at Pearl Harbor and expectations were now more ominous.

In July 1942, John J. Moran was invited to join the U.S. Army. It wasn't a draft notice, though it was felt one would follow if he declined. He was 32, stood 5' 8" and weighed 185 lbs which he acknowledged was about 15 lbs overweight. His eyes were myopic and he was missing the back four teeth on each side of his mouth. Normally the eye and teeth problems would excuse him from being considered, but the Army said these problems would be waived because of his excellent physique.

It was not for his body the Army sought John Moran, it was for what was in his head. Through a deal made between John, the Army and the telephone company, he entered the service as a Private but was quickly granted a commission as a Second Lieutenant in the Signal Corps based on his civilian occupation. John Moran knew all about all the telephone lines in the Boston Army Base and the army wanted to have them secured, so they made the offer and had the knowledge within their own sphere and not dependent on civilian contractors. The environment at the time helped lead to this offer.

There had been a great many active German and Italian spies in the Boston area and to complicate matters elements of the large Irish community were listening to the voices of some of them. These people were not espousing the politics of their dictators, they were working more subtly, finding ways to keep America out of the war. One of the groups they focused on was the Irish and its strong political base in America particularly in Boston and New York. Both groups worked hard to question the Irish community's willingness to undertake what they termed an English cause. There were other voices calling for the Irish to work against the United States joining the war effort. Voices like those of the charismatic Irish priest, Father Coughlin. Father Coughlin was a very popular radio personality in the Irish community. He too questioned the United States' entry into the European war. Many of America's politicians also questioned the wisdom of our involvement. Bostonian Henry Cabot Lodge, Chairman of the Senate Foreign relations Committee and a powerful figure in the Republican Party, led the fight against the ratification of the Treaty of Versailles and was a part of keeping the United States out of the League of Nations. He coined the phrase, (the United States) should be' master of her own fate.' U. S. public opposition to Wilson's desire to involve the United States in a new world order became a policy of isolationism. The Depression had caused the country to focus inward, on its own problems. In 1935, the country urged by Father Coughlin and others pressured their U. S. Senators to vote for the United States to not become a member of the World Court. Two Neutrality Acts followed. When Mussolini invaded Ethiopia, two-thirds of Americans responding to public opinion polls opposed any American involvement. When the Spanish Civil War flared both Hitler and Mussolini got involved, again Americans and their politicians took an isolationist view. As late as 1940, when Hitler was moving German forces to change the face of Europe many Irish Americans were still arguing for non-involvement. This included the U. S. Ambassador to England, Bostonian Joseph P. Kennedy. These influences affected many in the Boston Irish community.

In their background check of John Moran, the U. S. Army found John Moran mixed it up more with football players and sports followers than politicians. John Moran was not political, his principal activities in his off time still were sports oriented. He could no longer play football, but he still enjoyed baseball, bowling and deep sea fishing.

The assignment at Boston Army Base meant that John Moran would probably be there for the war's duration. To Fran Moran that must have been somewhat comforting, but to John Moran as he saw his brothers, one by one, go off to war, it was at times disconcerting.

The U. S. Army wisely invested in John Moran. His first rating report says in part;

Exceptionally well qualified technically, builds and maintains high morale; is exceptionally thoughtful of subordinates; disregards his personal convenience to sense of duty; accepts responsibility without hesitation.

In less than six months, the Army promotes John to First Lieutenant. His duties besides as Telephone and Telegraph Officer for the Port of Boston are expanded to include similar duties at camp Miles Standish and the Maynard Ammunition Storage Point.

His boss, Colonel J. J. McKenly, describes in a report his thoughts about Lieutenant Moran:

husky, clean, dependable, stable, genial, energetic, enthusiastic, intensely loyal, friendly, pleasing personality and high standards

In 1943, Lieutenant John Moran is made a port signal officer. Shortly thereafter he joined the National Defense Transportation Association.

Lieutenant John Moran was a popular officer, he was chosen to be the Master of Ceremonies during a gala affair at the port, appeared in a magazine article and was also invited to attend a formal enlisted man's ball, a rare kudo.

On the one year anniversary of his entering the army, John Moran is recommended by the base commander for promotion to Captain.

His hard work at the port doesn't deter him from his family life and sports. By 1944 his family had grown by two daughters, Moya and Jacquelyn. There was also a family dog, a golden retriever named Terry. The house on Eldridge Road was filling up fast.

In February of 1945, John Moran won a bowling trophy and his port baseball team won the trophy for the port's best baseball team. John was captain of the team. He played second base. It was his hit in the playoffs that sent the winning run across the plate to give his team the trophy. His team, the port officers were playing against the Military Police team.

Twice in 1945, Captain John Moran was recommended for promotion to Major. Failing to accomplish that, his superiors gave him the job and the title. He was made the Port Signal Officer supervising 167 civilian and military personnel and was responsible for outlying units in Searsport, Camp McKay, Castle Island, Camp Savin Hill, Halifax and Montreal. In January of 1946, Captain Moran received a commendation award and another in March and a third in April. He was doing the work of a Major, winning commendation awards and not getting the rank, nor the pay.

<The Morans in 1944: Frances Moya, Gerard and Jackie


Feeling unappreciated, John Moran gives the Army notice he intends to leave the service when the war is over. Had the Army given him a regular army promotion he might have stayed, as it was they made him a temporary Major. Major Moran vacillated for a while, he really wanted to make the army a career, but he feared his lack of education would stop his advancement despite his quality of effort.









Frances with Jackie in her lap and Gerard and Moya at her feet in 1945 >

Major Moran left the regular Army and joined the U. S. Army Reserves. He was assigned to the 94 Division which met at Fort Devens, Massachusetts. He also joined the American Legion. He was not an active member, but did enjoy going to many of the social functions.

He rejoined New England Telephone and Telepgraph and his old friend and boss, George Blum. George tells him, he really had a better future in the army even if he wasn't offered a regular army position. The phone company would be crowded with people returning from the war while the army was paring down. Since he was in a technical field, if he stayed current, the army would need his skills to lead its men in the use of the new communication tools.

After a year and a half of George's well intentioned pushing, John Moran re-entered the United States Army. They wanted him back and gave him a Regular Army commission with rank going back to September, 1945.

In March of 1947, because of his port experience, the army assigned him to a brand new venture, the Transportation Section of the Quartermaster Corps. His first assignment was for training at Fort Eustis, Virginia. When that was completed he was assigned as an assistant officer in charge of the passenger section at the New York port of embarkation. Another duty and the one he worked on with most of his time was the movement through the port of the World War II dead to their final resting places.

John Moran moved the family to Northport, Long Island which was a short commute to the Port of New York.

Knowing his lack of education will limit his advancement, John begins to take a correspondence course to earn college credits.

< Jackie, Gerard and Moya in 1947

In the Fall of 1948, Captain Moran was selected as one of the few officers to be placed in a program where the army places officers with industry. He is assigned to E. I. Dupont de Nemours & Company in Wilmington, Delaware. There he is to learn the methods by which Dupont ships its chemical products, some of them highly explosive. It is mostly a rail operation. It is at the Dupont rail office he met Jack Stack, like George Blum, he became a lifetime friend.

The family moves to his mother-in-law's house in Brookline while John is at Dupont knowing it would only be a year assignment. While with Dupont, John Moran traveled quite a bit to Dupont facilities in Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey and West Virginia. His reports back to the Transportation Section of the Quartermaster Corps were well received and he was promoted to Major in January, 1949. He was also notified his next assignment would be to apply his recent rail experience at an overseas location.

When his year was up at Dupont, instead of rejoining his family as had originally been planned, Major John Moran finds himself, in November, 1949, on the deck of the U.S.S. General Nelson M. Walker sailing for Yokohama, Japan. There he is assigned as a railway operation superintendent. After a few months he is sent to a long term assignment as the Railway Superintendent of 8010th TMRS (Transportation Military Rail System) based in Fukouka, Japan on the island of Kyushu. Fukouka was the largest city on the island. The city lies along the southern coast of Hakata Bay on the delta of the Naka River. Originally known as Hakata, the area became known as Fukuoka for the fort that protected the harbor.A little known fact is that Fukuoka was the original target for the second atomic bomb. Because of weather the bomber flew further down the coast to Nagasaki.

Major Moran at his desk in Fukuoka

Major Moran's office is responsible for moving men and equipment by rail to and from destinations between southern Kyushu and Tokyo-Yokohama. A large enough responsibility that was made immense after the outbreak of the Korean War in June of 1950. To add to his concerns the family was at that moment aboard the U. S. S. David C. Shanks sailing to Japan to join him. The war broke out after the ship was more than halfway to Japan. Perhaps the ship had more important cargo than the wives and children of American servicemen. Whatever the reasons, the ship continued on its thirteen day voyage to Japan despite a typhoon and fears of North Korean planes finding it. Other U. S. ships carrying dependents to Japan were turned back.

Again plans changed. Instead of the family being able to enjoy the exotic foreign assignment and spend time together, they found themselves in a small village about twenty miles southeast of Fukuoka called Kurume. They were in a different culture and in a semi-remote area. Because of the war, Major Moran worked long irregular hours. Major Moran was an important part of the logistics effort to move men and supplies to and from Korea. The family was on its own for most of the time.

It would be an understatement to say the American forces were not prepared for the Korean War. When the North Korean forces invaded South Korea on June 25, 1950, they were able to take the capital, Seoul before the end of the month. The United Nations which had pledged to defend against any communist attack asked member states to assist in repelling the attack and restore peace. The United States had four divisions serving occupation duty in Japan. The divisions were under manned and under equipped. There were few veterans among the officers and non-commissioned officers and most all the troops were young incompletely trained recruits.Major Moran's first task in the Korean War was to evacuate all unessential allied personnel from Korea. This was done using all the standard equipment available in addition to fishing boats and barges.

Nevertheless, the 24th Infantry Division was moved from Japan to Korea in a hastily prepared flotilla of ships, boats and barges. Major Moran participated in this operation. The 24th Division was only able to slow the Communist advance and buy time for the 25 Infantry Division and the First Calvary Divison (fighting as infantry) to land at Pusan, Korea directly opposite northern Kyushu. The 24th's courageous general, Major General William F. Dean, was captured during the fighting. The American forces were able to hold out at what became known as the Pusan Perimeter leaving 90 percent of Korea in Communist hands. The American units took heavy casualties and Major Moran while supporting the logistical effort moving supplies and men into Pusan was also faced with moving the injured to hospitals in Japan, including the one in Fukuoka.

In July, 1950 the Transportation Section of the Quartermaster Corps is made into a full branch of the U.S. Army and Major John Moran is officially transferred from the Quartermaster Corps to the Transportation Corps.

It wasn't until September and the masterful amphibious landing at Inchon drawn out by General Douglas McArthur that things began to get better and American pride somewhat salvaged. McArthur used the remaining occupational division, the Seventh Infantry Division plus U. S. Marine, U.S. Army and Republic of Korea units. In a dramatic reversal of fortune, MacArthur completely routed the North Koreans sending them all the way back to the Yalu River, North Korea's northern border with Chinese controlled Manchuria. The U. S. position was fairly well consolidated by November 24, 1950.


John Moran was awarded a commendation medal for his remarkable logistical efforts in deploying the 24th Infantry division to Korea. He was also promoted to Lieutenant Colonel (temporary). This made him the senior transportation officer in southern Japan. As he is away from home much of the time, the U. S. Army assigns him his own private car called the "Woodhaven" complete with servants as he inspects and insures the rail system from Tokyo/Yokohama south is in good order. His pay is now $645 a month. He supervises 455 people in his job as superintendent and this does not include the many Japanese under his authority. He received another commendation for his logistical work in the evacuation of the wounded of 24th and 25th Infantry Divisions to hospitals in Japan. In the picture above, Major Moran is sitting in a chair in the "Woodhaven" with the ever present cigar and daughter Moya looking over the chair.

Late November, the Chinese Communists intervened with massive surprise attacks attempting to flank the American/UN line. Chinese forces were approximately double those of the defenders and the American/UN line was pushed back. The U.S. staged a major withdrawal out through Wonsan and Hungnam harbors. The 38th parallel again became the dividing line between Communists and those opposed to their aggression.

On the last day of 1950, the Chinese Communist together with the remnants of the North Korean Army again invaded South Korea. They had overwhelming numbers and the American and U.N. forces withdrew. Over the next six months, the Communists would attack, the U. N. would pull back stiffen resistance and then push the Communists back. The Communist suffered disproportionate losses in this deadly tug of war, but each time they would bring in new Chinese soldiers in massive numbers and charge the U.N. line.

Each time there was a withdrawal meant casualties to be distributed to the American hospitals in Japan. Each time the Americans and U.N. forces pushed back there had to be tremendous amounts of material shipped from the United States through Japan to Korea. In the first ten months of the war the U. S. expended more artillery and mortar ammunition than in all of World War II. Storage depots were empty and shipments of these supplies came direct from the manufacturer. John Moran was in the middle of that operation.Other operations Colonel Moran was involved in was the movement of the 187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team to Ashiya Air Force Base and Brady Air Force Base to and from Taegu, Korea; coordination with the 8156th Army Unit at Moji Port, and a similar continuing effort with Camp Hakata.

By June of 1951, the Communists realized they were paying too high a price on the ground and not getting anywhere. The 38th parallel was still the dividing line. They decided to call for a truce and while pretending to negotiate, build up their forces. This they did in quantity and quality. When they resumed the offensive, the scenario remained the same despite the new men and updated weapons and the war stalemated at the 38th parallel and the Communists re-entered negotiations to end the war. These negotiations lasted for almost two years at Panmunjom with little happening on the ground but isolated incidents.

The Morans were able to have somewhat of a stable homelife after the beginning of the long drawn out peace talks, but not before an incident. The family was living in the small village of Kurume in a very large house of a wealthy Japanese family that had been taken over for the occupation. Many servants came with the house and life should have been pleasant except for the fact that Major Moran was away much of the time. Communists in Japan began to agitate the situation by holding demonstrations, making threats, intimidating dependents and the like. It was decided to move the family in closer to Fukuoka proper. Once this was done, the family was able to be together more often and things settled down.

The Morans played hosts to any priest passing thorough and to the staff of the 118th Station Hospital in Fukuoka. The Morans were close with the priests and the hospital staff because of Colonel Morans responsibilities moving wounded to and from the hospital and Frances Moran's work as a Gray Lady, a nurses aid. During the horrible period before and during the Pusan Perimeter when the U. S. losses were very high, many officers wives became Gray Ladies and helped where they could in the hospital.

The hospital staff all worked long and hard, sixteen hour plus days. They appreciated the refuge found at the Moran's. They could let their hair down and have some fun. The parties were loud and they were fun. An example of the attitude was the establishment of the Dumb Bastards Club to which anyone could apply for membership only after having created a serious SNAFU. In the hectic and trying days, everyone eventually qualified for membership.

Among the regulars at the Moran home were many Irish born priests: Father Roddy, Father Brady, Father Parker, Father Grogan, Father Burke and Father Breslin who was from Ballina, County Mayo. Others, most of whom were from the hospital included: Victor and Joy Glines, Pauline and Thomas Cockrell, Eileen K. Murphy, Helen Zurhellen, Fran Bailey, Florence Siems, Frank and Mary Lister, Lois Henry, Walter Batson, Harold Cohn, W. Breeding, George and Alice Power, Helen and A. J. Godfrey, Florence DeWitt, Mr and Mrs Paul Lucas, Bob and Virginia Dickerson. There were others from Colonel Moran's work including several Japanese friends particularly Jimmy Hasegawa and "Shorty" Kamachi. Americans from Fukouka's Hakata Station where the 8010 TMRS was officed, who came to the house, included- Maury Chavin, Ray Day, Deane and Harold Luke, Florence McGimpsey. Adding to the international flavor of the group at the Moran's were Australians Gordon F. Meacham, Bruce"Rosie" Fletcher, Gordon Combs, and Edward Wilkinson, most of whom Colonel Moran coordinated with in the Yokohama/Tokoyo area. They were also welcome and frequently dropped in when on Kyushu.

A benefit of the job as Railway Superintendent was that Colonel Moran was responsible for the transportation to and from the hospital of visiting dignitaries and entertainers. Thus, he got to meet firsthand General MacArthur, several Senators, Bob Hope. Joe Domaggio and many others.

With the truce talks apparently going to be a non-stop affair, Colonel Moran received permission, in 1951, to take a family vacation. The first in many, many years. The family traveled by train, in his special car, over tall mountains to the mountain resort hotel at Aso Kanko. At the hotel there was a special conference for transportation leaders so the trip was not all vacation, but the many socials were enjoyed and the family stayed after the conference was over.

The Aso Kanko hotel is located near an active volcano, Aso Kanko. The family trekked up the long trail and looked down into the volcano. What they saw they were unprepared for, the volcano was a popular place for lovers to commit suicide and there was ample evidence of successful couples who had jumped into the volcano. Back at the hotel there was swimming, archery and a variety of vacation activities planned. The trip to and back from the mountain region was as memorable as the time spent at Aso Kanko.

The Morans decide to expand their family once again. John was 43 and Frances 36. Frances Moran underwent special surgery to become pregnant. The operation is a success and Margaret NMI Moran is born September, 1952. Just after her birth Colonel Moran has to go to Pusan, Korea.

Colonel Moran receives more commendations including one from the Commanding General of U. S. Forces General Clarke and from the Commander of U. N. forces Major General Bush. Because of his excellent efforts during the war, Colonel Moran is told he can select any U.S. assignment location he would like. He chooses, in order - Fort Eustis, Virginia, Fort McPherson, Georgia and the Presidio, outside San Francisco in California.

In October 1952, after the baby is six weeks old, the family embarks on the U. S. S. Sultan for the United States and Colonel Moran's U. S. assignment .......in Salt Lake City, Utah!

Colonel Moran's assignment in Utah is as Deputy Zone Transportation Officer for the Fourth Logistical Zone band (the United States was divided into zone bands). He is earning $645 a month and supervises 112 personnel moving military freight through eleven states.

Meantime, the Korean truce was finally signed July 27, 1953. The totals of the war show the logistical nightmare it was to manage supply lines and to move men, wounded and replacements to and from the battle zone. 437,996 UN forces were killed, wounded or captured. A little more than 30% of those were Americans. Additionally 500,000 South Korean civilians lost their lives. The Communist numbers were much higher with close to 1,600,000 war casualties of whom it is estimated 60% were Chinese. Another 400,000 Chinese died from disease. It is estimated three million North Korean civilians were killed by the war or disease as a result of the war.

This same year, 1953, Colonel John Moran is assigned a special project to evaluate U. S. and foreign vehicles and rail cars after they have been exposed to a nuclear explosion. The project was at Frenchman's Flat, Nevada and lasted for about six months. The family was concerned about his exposure to the nuclear blasts that were done in the tests.

Utah was a good family environment, the family was central in Mormon religion and Salt Lake City was the Rome of that religion. Neighbors were friendly and the community supportive. Utah was the first time John Moran cooked outside on a barbecue, something he eventually became noted for. The good family life led to a surprise, another baby, Robert John Moran. He was born in February, 1954.

About the middle of 1954, Colonel Moran is advised of a new assignment at the Brooklyn Army Terminal in New York City where he will oversee the efforts of 240 military and civilian personnel as Deputy Chief of Cargo Operations. The family goes from the wide open spaces of Utah to a fifth floor tenement apartment in Brooklyn. The area of Brooklyn in which they are located is right next to Fort Hamilton, the site of an artillery battery protecting New York harbor during the American Revolution. The area is still called "The Battery." It is a rough neighborhood and the family is relieved to leave the apartment and move into military quarters in Fort Hamilton. The Morans move from the fifth floor apartment into a more than 100 year old three story home. They are even serenaded by the fort band, welcoming them to the Fort Hamilton community. Just a few homes away from the quarters is one once occupied by General Robert E. Lee when he was stationed at Fort Hamilton,

In November, Colonel John Moran is awarded the National Defense Transportation Association Service Medal.

The family did not get to enjoy the house for very long before they were again on the move. The house in Fort Hamilton is gone now, in its place is one of the columns of the Verrazano Bridge. Colonel Moran was assigned another duty assignment in 1955, this time without the family. He was sent to Reykjavick, Iceland and laisoned with NATO forces regarding the port there. While he was stationed the eighteen months in Iceland, the family moved back to Massachusetts to be close to relatives. They moved into a small house in Hingham, Massachusetts not far from the Atlantic coast.


Return to Table of Contents

Continue John Moran

Go to next section Bill Moran

List of Brothers and Sisters >