When the eighteen months were up, the John J. Moran family headed for his new assignment and their new home in Fort Hood, Texas where Colonel John J. Moran was to be the Post Transportation Officer. No longer anyone's deputy, this time he ran the show supervising 380 people and was paid $720 a month plus government housing.

The years at Fort Hood were perhaps the best years of John Moran's life. He enjoyed his work and was active in church and sports events. He served as an official at the Fourth Army Track Event and was President of the Fort Hood Sports Advisory Council. He was a frequent speaker at the NCO academy, ROTC classes and Explorer Scout meetings. In a word, he was popular.

He made the NDTA an adjunct to his work. In May of 1957, Colonel John Moran was elected President of the CEN-TEX Chapter of the NDTA. He was re-elected the next year. During one of the many events he attended as President of the NDTA, he was asked to give a speech that was to be carried live over the local, Killeen, Texas, radio station (KLEN). In a rare show of pride, John Moran told his friends, neighbors, family and fellow workers about the broadcast and invited them to listen. He was not long into his speech when he was cut of by none other than the President of the United States, Dwight David Eisenhower. President Eisenhower described for the nation the successful launch of its first satellite, Explorer I. For years, John Moran took a lot of kidding over that incident.

The Morans in 1959: Jackie, Maggi, Moya and Gerard in the back,

Frances, Bob and John on the bottom

In 1960, Colonel Moran was re-assigned to Orleans, France. His going away party at Fort Hood was a big one and well attended. It was complete with an army band, a choir and a presentation a la "This is Your Life." The latter was a popular television show of the day that presented a celebrity's life story with pictures and recounting of stories told by friends. It was always prepared without the knowledge of the target of the show who was brought to an event thinking it was for some other reason. Colonel John Moran was as surprised as any of those celebrities the night they "did" his life.

A great deal of commendation letters and letters of appreciation flooded in when people heard of his leaving. The Army presented him with yet another Commendation Medal. This time he was recognized for, among other things, his organization in support of Operation Gyroscope that saw the rotation of an entire Armored Division, the Second Armored "Hell On Wheels" Division to Germany from Fort Hood and the bringing back of the First Armored Division, "Old Ironsides" to Fort Hood. Among the many soldiers in the 2nd Armored was Elvis Presley, who most members of the family either met or saw during his time at Fort Hood.

Once again the family was aboard a ship, this time the Alexander M. Patch as it sailed for Bremerhaven, Germany where the family would then travel overland to Orleans. One member of the family elects to stay behind in Texas.

The oldest, Gerard, was of college age. Colonel Moran worked hard to obtain for his son, a difficult to achieve, Presidential appointment to attend West Point. He was able to obtain one from President Eisenhower dependent on Gerard passing physical, mental and medical tests. Gerard had passed the physical and mental test and was sent to Brooke Army Medical facilities at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio, Texas for the medical tests, when he was surprised to find he was not medically qualified because his rib cage had a slight twist. As a secondary choice, the family selected Saint Edwards Academy in Austin, Texas, but on a scouting trip to Austin, John's son elected, instead to attend the University of Texas in Austin.

Colonel Moran and his wife were not as settled about the matter had Gerard been able to attend the military academy or Saint Edwards which was run by the same priest and brothers who run Notre Dame University.

In September, 1960, the Moran family took up temporary residence in the L'Escala Hotel in St. Hillaire, France just outside of Orleans while waiting for the availability of a government owned residence. Colonel Moran's new assignment was to be Director of Operations of the 594th Transportation Group (Movement Control). This position was responsible for the movement of U. S. and NATO military traffic through France, Germany and the Benelux (Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg) countries.

In the Spring of 1961, Colonel Moran attended a brief school in Hampshire, England which he seemed to enjoy very much. Upon his return he was made the Deputy Commander of the 594th.

During his 36 months in France, Colonel Moran participated in the movement of supplies with respect to the China-India conflict, addressed problems brought on by a coal shortage in the winter of 1962-63, and supported the many U.S.Army and NATO exercises.

The family was fortunate enough not to move into government quarters, so that they were afforded the opportunity to live on the local economy subsidized by the U. S. Army. The Morans found a lovely place in Mezieres-les-Clery. It was more than just a place, it was the former hunting pavilion of a once large estate. The current owner, a Madame de La Comtesse De La Nage, rented the Pavillion de Meziere de Clery to the Morans. The two story house was right out of a postcard. It had marble fireplaces, tile floors, widows with trim painted shutters and it sat at the edge of a quaint little village with a very old stone church and was beside a forest that was exquisite for evening walks.

During the latter part of his tour of duty in France, government housing became available and Colonel Moran moved his family into the government housing facility at Cite Marshall Foche in Olivet, France just south of Orleans. Orleans is famous for Joan of Arc and there is a large statue of her in the city square which the Americans irreverently referred to as Joannie on the pony. Life in France was very enjoyable and the family including the oldest son, who came over for the summer, took a vacation together driving to Sitges, Spain just south of Barcelona. There they enjoyed the beach. They lived in an apartment at 22 Calle Parallela. In another apartment in the building were Major Alan Head and his family, friends from previous tours.

In May of 1963, Colonel John Moran concludes his service to the 594th and received yet another Commendation Award for his performance of duties. He now had the commendation award with four oak leaf clusters ....a rare honor.

The family found itself on a familiar ship, the U.S.S. Alexander M. Patch, as they sailed back to America. This time Colonel Moran got the assignment he requested, a Texas post. He is assigned as a special Projects Officer, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff, Logistics, Headquarters of the Fourth Army, Fort Sam Houston. Soon, Colonel Moran realizes the assignment was to prepare him for retirement. John J. Moran did not want to retire. He had close to 28 years service in the army and wanted to make it 30 with a chance to make full Colonel. He knew his lack of a college education would not let him get to become a general but he did want to get as far as he could, short of that.

The family lived briefly in San Antonio before finding quarters available on Wheaton Road in Fort Sam Houston. Colonel Moran's duties are increasingly reduced as his retirement date approached. He officially retired November 30th, 1963 and was presented with a Certificate of Achievement for "outstanding performance of duty..." by three-star General Jark.

John Moran was bitter with his retirement, he felt his considerable experience, achievements and commendable effort as evidenced by the many Commendation Awards, Certificates of Merit, Certificates of Achievement, Citations of Meritorious Service and letters of appreciation found in his service jacket (personnel file) should in some way offset a procedural decision based on whether he had a college degree or not.

The family moved into a home in San Antonio at 215 Argo Avenue while Colonel Moran looked for a suitable job. He had not applied his time to the task earlier as he worked right up to the last to find a way to stay in the army. Nevertheless, Colonel Moran did think it might happen (retirement) and that was the reason he selected a Texas assignment.

John Moran concentrated his search for a job in the Killeen/Fort Hood area as that was where he enjoyed the most satisfying years of his long career. Finding a job at 47 years of age is not easy and no one comes forward to make him an offer. The Texas Employment Commission could not provide any opportunities. As in his youth, John Moran is able to find his own work.

In 1964, he moved the family to Dallas to begin his new civilian career. The Morans buy their first home in 23 years of marriage. Both the older daughters who were out of the house in France were back home along with Maggi and Bobby who were still children. Only Gerard, who is now married and in the Army as an officer, is not at home with the family. John Moran is the District Manager for Railway Express in Dallas and the home they bought was at 3367 Delford Circle in Dallas. Not long after going to work for Railway one of his earlier efforts proves fruitful and he is asked to take the position of government sales representative for Southern Plaza Express. In effect it is an immediate promotion and he takes it. Not long after that Southern Plaza is bought out by Consolidated Freightways, a very large company. Although he and his job survive the change, John Moran finds he has to leave because his new boss cheats his customers.

Someone told him to look beyond transportation in his job search and that led to John Moran going to work for John Hancock insurance. It was not an easy transition, it meant John had to go to school to learn how to be an insurance agent. He graduated top man in his class and had a promising new career in front of him.

Social activities were still connected to the many army friends that passed through Dallas and family that came to visit now that they had planted in one place. Two old friends from transportation that had married each other lived in Dallas, L'Rata and Jim Needham. The four of them spent time each and every week with one another - never tiring of the Needham's pool, the barbecue, beer and poker at each others houses that served as a foile for the constant conversation.

The health of John Moran's wife, Frances Moran, since 1964, had been declining. The Army provided its retirees and their dependents with free health care, but you had to go to the closest facility to get it. In the Moran's case that was at Carswell Air Force Base in Fort Worth, Texas. Frances Moran went there regularly for what they treated as colitis. In 1967, frustrated that the military doctors weren't helping her, John Moran agreed with his oldest daughter, Moya, that his wife should see someone else. Moya was working as a medical secretary and knew a few doctors. The doctor she had her mother call told Frances Moran to go the hospital that day based on what he heard on the phone. He knew she had a stomach tumor.

They operated the next day. The reason for the urgency was how long she had probably had the tumor and its size. It was there and it turned out to be quite large about the size of a grapefruit. The biopsy showed evidence of cancer.

In great justifiable anger, John Moran wrote a harsh letter to then U. S. Senator John Tower complaining of the military doctors repeated inability to diagnose correctly what a civilian doctor could diagnose over the phone. Had it been found earlier, his wife's life would not be so firmly in the grasp of cancer. The many medical efforts over the next several months were to no avail. His wife slowly declined losing a little of her life each day until she died February 10, 1968. She was only 51 years old.

The loss was very hard on him and his children. His employer, John Hancock, was very supportive letting him have all the time he needed. They even paid many of the hospital bills. John Moran did not want to go back to work, but for what they had done for him he worked for them another one and a half years. He did find it necessary to leave the house at 3667 Delford Circle, too many memories and plans. He rented a duplex on Pandora Lane on the same side of Dallas.

During this period John became interested in joining the Knights of Columbus, before long he is an officer and in 1972 a Trustee. He also joined Alhambra an elite organization made up of members of the Knights of Columbus that was dedicated to caring for retarded children and unwed mothers. He makes many new friends among them the inevitable cleric, this time a Monsignor, Msr. Tucek.

In the fall of 1972, John Moran traveled to Germany to see Moya his oldest daughter. She had married Don O'Neal who was in the Air Force and stationed in Germany. The occasion was the birth of their first child, Patrick. When John Moran returned from Germany, he gets back into his schedule of Knights of Columbus events and supporting area Catholic high school track and basketball tournaments.

His sister Eileen wrote him letters from Boston that she is at her wits ends with her oldest son, John. John and his father, Jack Souza had escalated tensions between them to the point Eileen feared someone was going to be hurt. John Moran, her older brother, invited Eileen to remove him from Boston and send him to Texas for a while. Jackie and Moya were now out of the house, only Maggi and Bobby still lived at home.

Now instead of just two teenagers to contend with, he had a third. Two angry they lost their mother and the third just angry. Family life is difficult. Raising two teenagers alone at 58 isn't easy and now a third unhappy camper who wasn't too happy about being pulled out of his environment and dropped into hot Texas was in his home.

On the other side of all this, his brother Joe had moved to Dallas and his son Gerard moved into the area so that there were frequent visits and the usual killer card games with no mercy for the lame and weak. Often the three of them: John, Joe and Gerard would meet to play cut throat, no holds barred hearts or cribbage.

John Souza, Eillen's son went back to Boston. The Texas experience did relieve the tension and the situation ended when John left the house to find his own way.

In 1975, John Moran became an instructor for Defensive Driving. He was still active in the Knights of Columbus, in fact he was elected Grand Knight of his chapter, the state's largest. John Moran was instrumental in getting a booth at the Dallas Cowboy's new stadium in Irving, Texas where the Knights of Columbus sold soft drinks, hot dogs, hamburgers, chips etc. I can remember more than a few times when he got me to be a part of the crew. The Cowboys offered the same deal to many charitable organizations in the Dallas area. The Knights of Columbus, under John Moran's guidance where able to obtain one of the booths and put a good percentage in the Knight's treasury. During his term in office, John Moran took the Dallas Knights from the red to the black in finances. The next year he was elected to head up Alhambra and received the Alhambra Award of Excellence.

In December of 1976, John Moran fell down the stairs in the duplex he was renting. His fall left him unconscious. He was found by his sister in law, Joe's wife Inge. No telling how long he laid there. He was taken to a hospital where they removed a blood clot. He soon recovered and was back at the Knights of Columbus helping to raise money for the club's bartender, Leo, whose son was charged with robbery. John Moran got enough money raised for bond to be posted and for a lawyer.

In the spring of 1977, while inspecting the kitchen at the Knights of Columbus Hall, John Moran received serious burns from spilt grease. The burns heal slowly and he is not able to get about as often as usual. In January 1978, the program of the 14th Annual Greater Dallas K of C State Invitational High School Basketball Tournament was dedicated to John Moran for his devotion to the event.

While John Moran was being cared for his burns the doctors found that gout, something that had flared in France, was back. Further checks found prostate cancer, cancer of the skin, phlebitis, cancer of the bone marrow and leukemia. He repeatedly went to doctors and hospitals for treatment and medication and though the regimen was keeping everything in check, it was wearing him out. He was beginning to believe the cures were worse than the illnesses.

In January of 1978, his children, Inge and Joe were able to convince John to move from the two story duplex to one without stairs. He was not in his house very long when he needed to be hospitalized. On February 26, the doctors at the hospital advised family members to come to his side as they felt the end was near. John Moran amazed everyone, recovered and went home to his new duplex. He knew now that his days are numbered and that it would not take much to put him back in the hospital. Jackie and Gerard both lived in the Houston area. They pointed out that if he moved to Houston and live with one of them, that he will be near family and the famous medical center in Houston.

Gerard had gone though a difficult divorce and was no longer married. John decides to move into the family environment of Jackie's home in North Houston. Jackie had shown earlier in caring for her mother a special knack that all the other children had lacked. John remembered and knew he would be in good hands.

John moves in on March seventh. on the eleventh, Gerard visits him and finds him, as ever, smoking cigars, drinking beer and watching sports on television. He complained to Gerard about the picture on the old set. Jackie and her husband, Dave, heard it and buy a new one so John can see his sports on the latest model.

Sports on television was an important past time for John Moran. You would always find him in front of the television if there was an important game to be played or even one that was not all that important. Since the days at Fort Hood, he could tell you batting averages, yards gained, track records - you name it, he was an avid sport fan.

More than once, during NFL playoffs or on New Year's Day when several ball games were on at once, he would have television sets stacked on one another each tuned to a different ball game and a radio going in his ear with still another.

Once, he was asked to play Santa Claus at an event for children long before it was known that his beloved Dallas Cowboys would have to play that same time. Nodding his head, twinkling his eye, he smiled as the children sat on his knee and told them all the things they wanted for Christmas while Ol' Saint Nick was listening through an ear piece to see if the Cowboys made a first down or not.

At the end of March, 1978, John Moran again began to decline in health. He got peppier after a transfusion at St. Luke's hospital in Houston on April 4, but he quickly declined again. On Sunday, April 9th, he was telling jokes and drinking a beer, but it was a front. it took a lot of effort for him to just talk. His sister Kae and sister in law Inge were helping care for him at Jackie's house when he died April 11, 1978. Ten years after his wife had died. He was 68 years old. Monsignor Tucek in his eulogy of him at the funeral Mass called him a saint because his life was exemplary even with its faults. The full text follows this section. John Moran's body was brought back to Dallas so that his many friends there could pay their respects and many did. He was buried in an Irish green casket in the government cemetery plot in San Antonio where his wife Frances is buried.

John Moran Eulogy by Monsignor Tucek>

John Joseph Moran and Frances Marie (Monagle) Moran had five children:

1. Gerard Patrick, the author of this website, was in sales and marketing, and an author. A graduate of the University of Texas, Gerard entered the U. S. Army as an officer and was stationed in Southeast Asia during the Viet Nam War. He bega.n his civilian career after his military service working at the Manned Spacecraft Center in Houston, Texas (Now called the Johnson Space Center) where he met the astronauts including Alan Shepard. After many years with LTV Aerospace Corporation of the Ling Temco Vought conglomerate, Gerry went into a distribution business with Alan Shepard called the Windward Company. After it was sold, Gerry formed his own company, the Celtic Cowboy Company. This was a consulting business. Gerry currently works as Vice President/Major in a security company. His routine assignment other than as a Major in a command structure is managing the company.

He is the author of several magazine and newspaper articles on the subjects of early naval aviation, Irish and Texas history. In 1978, his book entitled Aeroplanes Vought was published. That book sold out and was later reissued in paperback as The Corsair and other Aeroplanes Vought. Two other subjects have since been written and published on the internet: The Celtic Connection about the Celtic connection to Texas history and Moranigans a family genealogy.

Gerry has performed professionally as a magician demonstrating "Leprecaun Legerdemain." He is an active member of the Ancient Order of Hibernians having served as the Houston chapter's president and as State Historian from 1987 until 2005. He married Nancy Sharon Christian on June 10, 1964. They had four children:

Michael Patrick Moran, born April 1, 1966, is a graduate of Texas A&M University. After graduation he entered the United States Navy as an officer. He served aboard the aircraft carrier U.S.S. George Washington during operation Desert Storm and received an official commendation for his work there. He was then stationed in London where he met his wife the former Jane Worswick. Mike and Jane have two children:

Lucy Worswick born in Hawaii, 12/16/2000.

Mike, Lucy and Jane

Jack Worswick Moran was born July 20, 2003.

Mike is now out of the Navy and pursuing the next level of his career in Austin, Texas.

Erin Bridget Moran, born August 11, 1967, is a graduate of the University of Texas Nursing School. She put herself through school. Erin is a nurse. She married David Kimbell. David has had increasing responsibilities in sales.

The picture above is Erin and David at their wedding. They have three children:

Bridget Lael born in Houston April 25, 1994

Christian David born in Houston December 8, 1995

Emma Claire born in Houston May 14, 1999

Erin and Dave's children are shown below:

Christian David, Emma and Bridget Kimbell

In 2000, Erin began offering HypnoBirthing services to prospective mother's who qualified. The service called HypnoBaby received some positive publicity when a local Houston television station interviewed a mother who was one of Erin's clients. Erin believes that hyponitizing women to relax is a better alternative to the popular La Maz method of natural birth because in that program doctors and patients are often too quick to bail out and go to drugs at the slightest discomfiture. Erin believes the anxiety and sometimes drawn out period between initial contractions and the birth of the baby seriously taxes most La Maz patients from truly relaxing and letting the birth process go naturally. With the addition of hypnotherapy in sessions before and then when a woman is brought to the hospital, she has a better chance of relaxing and not opting out of natural childbirth. Of course, if anything is wrong doctors and nurses are prepared as is the patient to use the necessary procedure for the safe delivery of the child and the health of the mother.

Sean Christian Moran, born July 17, 1969, is a graduate of Texas A&M University. He married Sally Burchett under the clear skies of West Texas. Sean and Sally currently live and work in Austin, Texas.

They have two children:

Sierra Burchett born in Austin 9/9/99

Angel Sierra Moran

Max Burchett born in Austin 10/26/2001

Sallie, Sierra, Sean and Max amongst the Texas Bluebonnets

Sallie has a business, Diva Imaging, which sells pictures from satellites for businesses needing them for mapping, construction, records keeping of large ground projects and such.

Shannon Lael Moran, born June 29, 1971, is an honors graduate of Texas University who has a Masters in deaf education from Gallaudet University and worked in that field before entering into the petrochemical business as a software analyst. She married Michael Hugetz on a beach in Barbados in November, 1996. Michael worked as an auditor for Sonat. When Sonat was absorbed by another company he served as Acting Treasurer. He also was the owner of his own business, the Victor Pen Company which was founded by his father. The operation of this gift and supply company, which serviced primarily the Caribbean islands, afforded Shannon and Mike the opportunity for several trips and their wedding. The internet changed the market place drastically so that the Victoria Pen Company's market slowly dwindled to the point the company was discontinued.


Shannon and Michael have a child born with an aristrocratic name, Miguel Vaughn Hugetz. Miguel was born November 14, 2002 at 9lbs, 3oz and 20 inches long. Those are almost the same numbers his mother had when she was born.


On August 30th, 2004 Michael and Shannon welcomed Isabel Katerina Marie Hugetz into this world, she came in at 9 lbs, 10 oz and 22 inches long.







In addition to their natural children, Gerard and Nancy participated in the Foster Parent program for Dallas County. They cared for two sisters, Cathy and Joyce Ballard / Hall for three years (1968-1970). Cathy was eleven and Joyce eight when they arrived. They are both married now and living in the Dallas area. Another foster child, a boy, Danny Davidson, was with the family for ten years. He also now lives in the Dallas area.

< Nancy, Michael, Joyce, Gerry, Cathy and Erin on Nancy's lap in 1968

Erin and Sean behind Danny and Michael in 1970 >

Gerard's marriage with Nancy began to have troubles and it was anulled by the Catholic Church and they were divorced in 1978. In 1987, Gerard married Rae Nell Reno (Liverman) who had a child, Casey Reno, in her first marriage. Casey married Lisa Boyd and they had a child, Kyle Jonathan Reno, on February 24, 1999. Casey and Lisa seperated. Casey and his son Kyle live with Gerard and Rae.

As in the first marriage, the Morans make a special effort to help children who find themselves in difficult situations through no fault of their own. This includes Rae's niece Amy Hogan who is now married to Mike Casonover. They have a child, Terry. Another person who found a temporary home with the Morans was a neighbor, JoeAltebaumer. Joe graduated from Texas A&M and now has a family of his own.

Together Gerard and Rae Nell have a child:


Shane Patrick born October 17, 1988. Shane is an active student and athlete who enjoys a good game on the ground, in the gym or on the computer.








Gerry and Rae celebrating after a soft ball game

Gerry, Rae, Casey and Shane at Rae's Aunt Pearlie's 70th birthday

Kyle Reno (Casey's son) with Evander in May, 2009

Camping was a big Moran thing for several years. The campsite on top was in the Sam Houston National Forest at Double Lake (before the rains hit for two days straight) in about 1980. Sean is in the hat beside Erin, Mike and Shannon with Casey and Amy

between Erin and Shannon

The lower one is at K & L campgrounds on the Guadalupe River near New Braunfels in about 1982.

The Dining tent is on the left, then a large wooden stump. Behind it is the kitchen area and behind that, the blue tent was Gerry and Rae's. Next, to the right of the kitchen is (the dark blue enclosure) the bathroom. In front of that is the shower. The light green tent was the kids tent. The blue tarp behind the bathroom was used to cover the food pantry overnight.

Moya Frances, born April 17, 1942, is a graduate of a high school in Orleans, France due to her father's overseas assignment with the U. S. Army. She began her working career in the Officer's Club in Verdun, France. After the family came back to the United States in Dallas, Texas, she became a medical secretary. She married a former classmate from the high school in Orleans, Donald Patrick O'Neal. Don was an officer in the U. S. Air Force and a doctor. They were fortunate to be stationed in Germany during his Air Force career. After the Air Force, Don continued his medical career as Head of Medical Services at Western Carolina University in Sylva, North Carolina. He is now retired. Moya now has her own consulting firm, O'Neal Consulting. Moya has a number of hobbies, probably the biggest being working with cut glass. She has generously provided all her siblings with samples of her lovely work. Moya and Don have three children:

Patrick who has a degree in Radio and TV Journalism from Western Carolina University.

Sinead who graduated from North Carolina State University. She had the opportunity to also educate herself through travel, having visited parts of Europe and Africa. She still travels courtesy of her company: Delta Air Lines.

Dela who graduated from Appalachia State College in Boone, North Carolina. Dela now works with computers.

Jacquelyn (Jackie), an insurance executive, married David George Eaton. Dave Eaton is a West Point graduate and currently a Loss Control Engineer, A.S.S.E., C.S.P. They have two children:

Bryan, who attends Stephen F. Austin College in Nacogdoches, Texas.

Mark, an athlete and artist attending Texas A&M.

We lost Jackie in May 2001.. Jackie was my best friend. She was spunky as a kid and spunky right to the last. She is sorely missed



< Jackie and family: sons Mark and Bryan and husband David (Dave)












Margaret, former rugby player and computer person married former Ohio State hockey player, Eugene Popiel. They had three children. They later divorced. Margaret, Maggi, took back the name Moran. She then worked for a number of companies to provide as a single Mom for her children . One of her jobs was for the Crown's Attorney Office where she was a part of the largest ever criminal trial in Canada. Maggi also dabbles in cut glass but her most famous hobby is the stage. She has appeared in a number of productions for a theater group in Toronto.

Maggi (behind the couch) on stage in production of "Martha."

The children of Maggi Moran and Gene Popiel are:

Elizabeth who attends Ryerson University in Toronto. Her Godfather is hockey great Wayne Gretsky who knew her father during his college playing days on the Ohio State University hockey team..

Jack , a hockey player like his dad, is attending Ohio State University.

Anika is finishing high school.

.Maggi with her children: Jack, Anika and Liz

Robert John was a fireman and paramedic. He had gone to college but did not finish. Well into his career with the Dallas Fire Department, Bob decided to go back to school. He graduated from the University of Texas in Austin and became a pharmaceutical executive with Merck. Bob never married. In 2001, Bob retired himself from the corporate grind and is currently enjoying a sabbatical from work. He is an amateur photographer. Though he traveled quite a bit in his job, Bob still travels, more than any other sibling, to see his sisters and brother.

Bob's home in Katy, Texas is furnished with furniture he mostly designed or had built to his specifications. Bob continues the Irish tradition of being the genial host to visiting family. His hospitality has been pleasantly felt by many who have paused at his door.



< From right to left on the front row - Gerard, Moya, Jackie. Maggi and Bob are in the second row. The picture was taken in April of 2001 in Katy, Texas where Jackie lived and Bob lives. Maggi came in from Toronto, Canada; Moya from Sylva, North Carolina and Gerard from La Porte, Texas

Return to Table of Contents

Go to next section Bill Moran

List of Brothers and Sisters>